Used 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Best Bang For Your Buck!
By GF

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Needed a 4 door wagon due to the new addition to my family. So I test drove an Audi A4 Avant (2.0T and 3.2 versions) and the Subaru Outback 3.0R was on par with the Audi Avant 3.2. Went with Subaru and saved $14K over the Audi. Also, plan to do a lot of outdoor family stuff (biking, camping, etc) so the additional ride height with the Outback made sense. I still have yet to open it up cause it's still in the break-in period, but this an excellent overall value. This car feels like I'm still driving my BMW. Subaru got this Outback right. Can't go wrong with Japanese build quality and a German driving feel at a Japanese price tag.

AWD, additional ride height, trunk space, H6 boxer engine

Bluetooth

The vehicle I was looking for
By Ken Myers

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced gas-guzzler 3/4-ton ’05 Chevy pickup with the ’08 Outback. My requirements; better mpg, able to pull motorcycle and its trailer, high ground clearance w/ 4-WD or AWD to traverse the 2-track to my cabin in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, handle winter snow, carry my radio-controlled planes and R/C equipment, ease of front seat access for my 85- year-old mother. Went to test drive an ’09 Forester and while waiting saw the Blue/Silver Metallic ’08 Outback and changed the test drive! The test drive, on poorly maintained paved roads, felt comfortable, and has proven so. There is a very solid feel between the car and the road. Good value. Better than a SUV for me. I like it a lot so far.

Smooth, easy shifting 5-speed manual. Lots of room in back with the seats folded. Trailer hitch and Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink. Excellent AWD mpg with avg. over 30 mpg in suburban area driving so far. Good all-around visibility. Standard trip calculator. It feels “just right” for me.

Move clutch pedal a little further to the left. Put the outside temperature on the mirror, like the compass. Move fuel filler to driver side! Don’t use felt like carpet, every little thing sticks to it. Rear seats should fold flat.

Great Alaska Car
By Kenny

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So far so good. Wish it had better gas mileage, but I knew what I would get before I bought it, just did not know how much gas prices would rise.

AWD is great for the interior of Alaska. Like the aux jack in the console for my IPOD. Nice cargo space.

Water drips from the drivers side window into the interior and onto the driver when only slightly cracked. Caused water stains on light brown seat.

Great all-purpose vehicle
By DenverGuy

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We looked at a number of small SUVs and wagons and went with the Outback for a number of reasons: comfort, MPG, and functionality. The other small SUVs did not ride well and seemed cheaply made (including Toyota and Honda). The ride quality in a wagon is way better and does everything I need it to do. MPG (28 hwy, 22mpg city) has been better than advertised, which is rare. Great resale in Colorado and low operating costs. Only 500 miles on it so far so I can't comment on long term reliability.

MPG, space, all-wheel drive, ipod connector.

Stereo not that great, seats could be a bit more comfortable in back.

Happy Outback owner
By happy Outback owner

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback 2.5i 5-speed manual for about 6000 miles, and I'm very happy with it. It gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, handles well, deals with lousy weather very well, has plenty of room, and looks great. My mileage has averaged 25.4 mpg overall since I bought it, with a low of 22.2 mpg and a high of 30.3 mpg. That's good for an AWD vehicle. With the 5-speed manual it feels lively and energetic, and the manual transmission shifts very easily. It's a great all-around vehicle that can handle pretty much anything thrown at it and do it very well. It's a practical car that's enjoyable to drive.

I like the large cargo area, the handling is great, the fuel economy is good, and the car is put together very well with high-quality materials. With good tires, it is a great foul-weather vehicle. I love having a manual transmission...makes driving it a lot of fun!

The back seat is a little tight on legroom for tall people. The OEM Bridgestone RE92A tires are not good in snow. There's no stability control available unless you step up to the limited or LLBean models with an auto transmission.