2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
08 Outback LTD
By cptplt on 11/10/07 15:20 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2800 miles and I was concerned about the higher height and handling compared to my previous 98 Legacy GT but this Outback can take the corners as well as the Legacy did and has a softer ride. Having a WRX as well, this car handles surprisingly well for something with more ground clearance than an Explorer! Getting 24mpg in suburban roads. Front seats are incredibly confortable but coudl do with a memory function. Radio/HVAC controls need to be easier to use, you need to really look down at the controls whgen using them. The stock Potenza RE92s I have never liked (had them on 3 previous cars).

Different strokes
By mikeb on 11/05/07 19:16 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Obviously people have had differing experiences. Mine have been superb. I had a 2004 Outback with 100,000 miles; loved it, but decided it was time for a change. Tested the RAV4, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Acura RDX; kept coming back to the Outback. After 2000 miles, it's nothing but delightful. The ride is firm but quiet. The transmission selection system works well; gear selection on hills is much better than with the 2004. Biggest surprise is the mileage; guided by the gas consumption guage, and trying to maintain a fairly light foot, I've been getting 23 mpg in-town and 27 on the Interstate (contrary to the 17/24 official rating). The car is great fun to drive.

PZEV - "My Inner Treehugger"
By highmile on 10/29/07 14:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We had already decided to buy a 2008 2.5i Outback when I happened across an Outback on the dealer lot with a different badge on the back that said "PZEV - Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle". I was curious as to what this was. Basically, it is the exact same car as your regular Outback, but with a more thorough burning of fuel and an emissions system on steroids. The emissions are as clean as a hybrid. My "Inner Treehugger" decided to splurge for the extra $200 for the PZEV option. We have been extremely happy with the vehicle. Unfortunately, I had to discover the PZEV since there seems to be little to no marketing for this "green" option.

Nice car but...
By hutch7 on 10/28/07 18:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We rented this car in Oregon for a week and drove it over 700 miles. A lot of mountains and curves, muddy back roads. I found it to be a little too underpowered on hills, very "shifty". Liked the "Sport" mode in the auto tranny. Base engine doesn't hack it. Useless arm rest just like my '97 Outback.

Word of Warning
By John Q Public on 10/23/07 11:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

While I was initially excited about the purchase after test driving a well running car, my "dealer locate" vehicle arrived with what is commonly known as "stutter" under boost. The two dealers I have taken the car to both acknowledged the car does not run correctly, but they don't know how to fix it since it is most likely a computer issue. The dealership has "reflashes" for different turbo models and it will fix the problem on some cars but not all and it often returns. Subaru customer service has been no help, not even offering try replacing the computer on a $32k car with 6k mi. I am going to lemon law it.

Satisfied
By aflier on 10/21/07 17:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We are a two car family and use the Outback for around town as well as much freeway driving. The car performs beautifully in all conditions. Good feeling of security and reliability. The car is a basic 4 and we got 28 mpg on regular gas. This is our fifth Subaru and so far it is the best.

Nice Change For Us
By Andy S on 10/09/07 09:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our first Subaru and we're very favorably impressed. The car is quiet and handles very well both on the road and in the field when we're taking feed to the run-in sheds. Fuel mileage is great for a full time all wheel drive vehicle. Safety and reliability were key factors in selecting a Subaru. These cars are legendary in both areas and their strong, cult like customer loyalty reflects it.

Subaru
By Barbara Bengels on 10/08/07 18:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Adequate acceleration, stable braking, air conditioner dual controls and seat warmer excellent, single roof window works fine. Quite pleased with it. Miss cassette tape deck. Would like MP3 port.

Best Outback yet
By Andrew on 10/02/07 16:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My third Outback and by far the best. Wanted a fun mid-life car, needed a practical car for the fam and the mountains. Subaru hits the mark with the XT turbo! Far more fun to drive than my H6 2002 LL Bean! It drives very tight and solid, very smooth and quiet, turbo kicks in nicely and pulls you along beautifully. I love wagons and the XT is the best combination of any brand/model. Steering wheel feels good in my large hands. Still trying to find the best seat position for my tall self. Skip the nav and add your own portable, upgradeable Garmin or other. Looked at SUVs (Tribeca, Highlander, RAV4, CR-V, RDX) and prefer XT. Great car for my wants and needs!

Great value, fun!
By cdb9000 on 09/27/07 16:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car 4 months ago, replaced 2001 Toyota Landcruiser. Tired of paying $75 premium, now I pay $35 regular to fill it! Owned 2 Volvo wagons (new) before my LC, and the Subaru compared to those in comfort and luxury. I looked at the Honda CRV and Rav4, too. CRV had good safety, but so cheap inside I couldn't stand it. Rav4 has very poor rear crash test, and I don't like when Mac trucks come up on my rear when I'm stopped and sitting in a car with no bumper. Acceleration is fine, it's no BMW or 8cyl, but gets me from here to there safely and in comfort! The Subaru has 5 star safety ratings all around - very important to me (and kids). Check out IIHS website for crash ratings.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.