Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

The vehicle I was looking for
By Ken Myers

2008 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced gas-guzzler 3/4-ton ’05 Chevy pickup with the ’08 Outback. My requirements; better mpg, able to pull motorcycle and its trailer, high ground clearance w/ 4-WD or AWD to traverse the 2-track to my cabin in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, handle winter snow, carry my radio-controlled planes and R/C equipment, ease of front seat access for my 85- year-old mother. Went to test drive an ’09 Forester and while waiting saw the Blue/Silver Metallic ’08 Outback and changed the test drive! The test drive, on poorly maintained paved roads, felt comfortable, and has proven so. There is a very solid feel between the car and the road. Good value. Better than a SUV for me. I like it a lot so far.

Favorite Features

Smooth, easy shifting 5-speed manual. Lots of room in back with the seats folded. Trailer hitch and Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass w/Homelink. Excellent AWD mpg with avg. over 30 mpg in suburban area driving so far. Good all-around visibility. Standard trip calculator. It feels “just right” for me.

Suggested Improvements

Move clutch pedal a little further to the left. Put the outside temperature on the mirror, like the compass. Move fuel filler to driver side! Don’t use felt like carpet, every little thing sticks to it. Rear seats should fold flat.

Great Alaska Car
By Kenny

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So far so good. Wish it had better gas mileage, but I knew what I would get before I bought it, just did not know how much gas prices would rise.

Favorite Features

AWD is great for the interior of Alaska. Like the aux jack in the console for my IPOD. Nice cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Water drips from the drivers side window into the interior and onto the driver when only slightly cracked. Caused water stains on light brown seat.

Great all-purpose vehicle
By DenverGuy

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We looked at a number of small SUVs and wagons and went with the Outback for a number of reasons: comfort, MPG, and functionality. The other small SUVs did not ride well and seemed cheaply made (including Toyota and Honda). The ride quality in a wagon is way better and does everything I need it to do. MPG (28 hwy, 22mpg city) has been better than advertised, which is rare. Great resale in Colorado and low operating costs. Only 500 miles on it so far so I can't comment on long term reliability.

Favorite Features

MPG, space, all-wheel drive, ipod connector.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo not that great, seats could be a bit more comfortable in back.

Happy Outback owner
By happy Outback owner

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback 2.5i 5-speed manual for about 6000 miles, and I'm very happy with it. It gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, handles well, deals with lousy weather very well, has plenty of room, and looks great. My mileage has averaged 25.4 mpg overall since I bought it, with a low of 22.2 mpg and a high of 30.3 mpg. That's good for an AWD vehicle. With the 5-speed manual it feels lively and energetic, and the manual transmission shifts very easily. It's a great all-around vehicle that can handle pretty much anything thrown at it and do it very well. It's a practical car that's enjoyable to drive.

Favorite Features

I like the large cargo area, the handling is great, the fuel economy is good, and the car is put together very well with high-quality materials. With good tires, it is a great foul-weather vehicle. I love having a manual transmission...makes driving it a lot of fun!

Suggested Improvements

The back seat is a little tight on legroom for tall people. The OEM Bridgestone RE92A tires are not good in snow. There's no stability control available unless you step up to the limited or LLBean models with an auto transmission.

Best Wagon for $30K
By VDC_Scooby

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Outback handles great in every day driving around town or on the highway. Steering is light and responsive. The Outback's 3.0R engine delivers plenty of refined power with a hint of growl. The transmission delivers that power unobtrusively. I normally leave SI drive in Intelligent mode but when necessary "sport sharp" mode (S#) provides that extra punch. The Outback's raised ride height means more suspension travel (take that speed bumps!) and it has a smooth ride over rough surfaces. I think the Outback looks the part of a luxury wagon. The interior is upscale and comparable to my 2004 Passat. The materials feel substantial and fit and finish are excellent. Braking is very sure.

Favorite Features

Subaru's legendary AWD is clearly my favorite feature even if it seems to get little use in everyday driving. The electroluminescent gauges are another favorite. The full sweep of the gauges on startup always brings a smile to my face. The multifunction display contains copious information.

Suggested Improvements

(1) driver's window controls should include both the auto down AND up functions; (2) doors should have an auto-locking feature; (3) better sound system with comprehensive satellite radio controls; (4) bring back the weatherband radio; (5) deep tinted sunroof glass; and, (6) a full size spare tire.