Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

PZEV & rough starts
By Ed

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

For those of you considering the PZEV option you should be aware that when started cold some Subaru's will produce excesive vibration, engine and exhaust noise. This is due to changes the ECU makes to the timing to quickly heat the exhaust catalyst to reduce emission gasses. Once warm, the car starts smoothly as you would expect. The sales rep asked us to wait in the showroom while he brought the car around for test drives so I didn't discover this characteristic until I started the car the morning after purchasing it. Otherwise the car does exactly what I expected and I'm pleased with it.

Heated seats and the huge sunroof.

I notice a slight shudder/wiggle in the steering wheel when I turn it a few degrees off center. The dealer said this is normal and caused by the operation of the AWD system. After 30+ years of making AWD vehicles I would have expected not to have any feedback in the steering wheel.

Transmission is Plague
By designer

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced my 2006 Outback sport with the larger version. Nice upgrade and significant price increase. I liked the AWD and style of the 08. Car handles great. Constant problem since I have owned the car is the transmission. It has been fixed twice, the third time the shop could not "duplicate it" Going in again tomorrow. The transmission shifts hard and clunks, feels like it is slipping. It was really bad the first 2 times. Now it does it under 40 MPH in city traffic. It's driving me nuts, litterally!

The car would be great if it worked properly. I would be so happy, if I didn't feel that the transmission may fall out of the vehicle in traffic.

Put in a transmission that is better than the one you have. I leased this vehicle, and I wont lease another Subaru. I want to love it so bad, I want to be that Suby guy, I am just let down. Going back to Honda via Acura I think.

Pleased new Subie groupie
By Frmr SUV ownr

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Previously owned a Ford Explorer so skeptical about power of 4cyl but you can't have it all and I have been pleasantly surprised with performance/gas mileage. Getting 20city/29 hwy and it's plenty zippy for that king of economy. Brakes a bit unresponsive/long braking distance, taking getting used to but drove in the Carolina mountains and handled like a dream.

Overall handling, classy interior, panoramic sunroof, roomy cargo area, gas mileage, comfortable for 5'3" smaller person.

Arm rests, upgrade stereo system, smaller key FOB or keyless entry/keypad makes sense for this type of car.

Satisfied
By Ted

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Outback for 6 months and have put over 8000 miles on it. Initial impression of quality is good. I bought the car due to its safety features, additional room for my family, and reputation for quality. I haven't been let down. My only real gripe about the car is the lack of horsepower. This car could really use an extra 20 hp. Not a big deal since I'm not out to win any races. However, the car is slightly under-powered in my opinion.

AWD, cargo space, great handling

Make the latch bar easier to acess in the rear seat. Britax brand car seats are hard to attach. Put the fuel door on the correct side. Give the car an extra 20hp

Pleasantly Impressed
By Rick Drewyour

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. For a utilitarian vehicle, it rides better than my Honda Accord. It handles great and I really like all the safety features. Easy exit/entry with the higer ground clearance. Sunroof is noisy when only wing is opened. Mileage is 25 mixed and 30 on the highway. Good looks and sporty feel.

Ride comfort. Safety ratings. Solid feeling and sounding car. Fuel economy.

Not impressed with Bridgestone Potenza tires. Noisy sunroof. Auto temp control always starts in a/c mode no matter what the temp is.