2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Love this car
By soldonsuby on 09/07/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car does what it does. Traded out of 1/2 ton full size pick up. I am very impressed w/ interior design, layout and comfort. I have big feet so the pedals could all use some more spacing but is not a problem. I like the aux audio jack but wonder why its hidden the console compartment. This does make it easy to "hide" what you have plugged into it. Hmm. The engine power is adequate and fuel economy is great for AWD vehicle of this size. Handling and ride comfort are excellent. Note on the cruise control... would like to tap the accel/decel buttons a number of times and have the speed change the corresponding number of MPH.

Happy Outback owner
By happy Outback owner on 05/19/08 15:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback 2.5i 5-speed manual for about 6000 miles, and I'm very happy with it. It gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, handles well, deals with lousy weather very well, has plenty of room, and looks great. My mileage has averaged 25.4 mpg overall since I bought it, with a low of 22.2 mpg and a high of 30.3 mpg. That's good for an AWD vehicle. With the 5-speed manual it feels lively and energetic, and the manual transmission shifts very easily. It's a great all-around vehicle that can handle pretty much anything thrown at it and do it very well. It's a practical car that's enjoyable to drive.

Great find!
By Lee2706 on 04/23/08 07:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 1995 Legacy wagon that aspired to be an Outback. Years later, I bought the car I always wanted! My big feet took some getting used to in the footbox, not to say that it is cramped, but pedals are closer than my Honda. I am no WRC racer, but I do like how easy the clutch engages and shifting action feels great. Is surprisingly responsive when passing, especially for a four banger that is a bit heavy in the hips. Excited for the snow and rain, I'd like to see how the AWD handles it. Mileage is better than expected, 27+ in 50/50 city/hwy (as long as the dash computer is correct).

None better at this price
By Eastharlemboy on 03/30/08 20:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First 4500 miles impressions: good handling, comfortable, quiet, decent stereo, sufficient (not great) power, averaging 28 MPG. For around $21K - $22K I believe this car is a bargain compared to other all wheel drive vehicles.

Great Choice
By Doug on 03/23/08 10:07 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research and really wanted to buy my 4th Honda. I looked at the CRV and didn’t like the interior. I am a fly fisherman and like to have a vehicle in which I can lie down and take a rest. I have a serious back problem and need to take breaks in my fishing day. The CRV just wasn’t able to provide a long rear floor space. When the rear seats are folded down there is plenty of room for me at 5’9”. Interestingly enough, the Honda dealer sent us to Subaru! The Subie us everything I wanted. I am an environmentalist and biologist so my carbon footprint and controlling pollution output is important. So far we have gotten 25 mpg in mixed driving short trips (a bit disapointing).

Computer, oh my!
By handimandi on 01/15/08 21:10 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and perhaps my last. After having a fun and wonderful drive home to Michigan from Virginia my Outback gave me a full "light show." Most of the warning lights came on, the most interesting being the "check engine" light. Computer problems. It has been back to the dealer service department 3 times now. It has been in the shop for more then 2 weeks. I bought it on 12/12/07, it has approx. 3100 miles on it, and I just made my first payment. The service department has been great, but my first Subaru experience has been a headache and a heartache. Will be using the lemon law if the car returns to the shop for a 4th time. Otherwise, a great and fun car.

Best Bang for Buck
By Feilo on 01/01/08 15:29 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The OB has always been on my car shortlist and I finally got an 08 2.5i 5MT to replace my much-loved and performance tuned 03 1.8T Passat wagon. I immediately upgraded the tires and the rear sway bar - instant handling upgrade. The 2.5i is really well matched to the 5MT (I've been disappointed by rental 4ATs OBs before). Have been averaging ~25+ mpg overall - 70/30 highway/urban. This is my first AWD car and its been interesting in the recent snows - its a new driving experience that's for sure. All in all, I am happy with my purchase and am enjoying true motoring with the 5MT. No warranty issues so far (6k miles) and as I stated in the title - its the best bang for my new car buck!

Engine Racing
By Carol on 12/21/07 19:20 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2000 Outback, liked it so well, I bought a 2008 Outback Wagon 5 spd man trans. It has 1,522 miles and just started this engine racing thing. When you shift thru from 1st to 5th gear it seems as though the gas is sticking causing RPMs to go up when you let off the accelerator. Sometimes when you downshift, the engine races like the accelerator is sticking. Took it to the dealer, he called Subaru Techline but before he could finish telling them what was wrong they said it was normal operation. We find that hard to believe. Racing past 2000rpms when the clutch is pressed and no foot on the accelerator doesn't seem normal to us.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.