2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Best Bang For Your Buck!
By GF on 06/09/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Needed a 4 door wagon due to the new addition to my family. So I test drove an Audi A4 Avant (2.0T and 3.2 versions) and the Subaru Outback 3.0R was on par with the Audi Avant 3.2. Went with Subaru and saved $14K over the Audi. Also, plan to do a lot of outdoor family stuff (biking, camping, etc) so the additional ride height with the Outback made sense. I still have yet to open it up cause it's still in the break-in period, but this an excellent overall value. This car feels like I'm still driving my BMW. Subaru got this Outback right. Can't go wrong with Japanese build quality and a German driving feel at a Japanese price tag.

Best Wagon for $30K
By VDC_Scooby on 05/06/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

The Outback handles great in every day driving around town or on the highway. Steering is light and responsive. The Outback's 3.0R engine delivers plenty of refined power with a hint of growl. The transmission delivers that power unobtrusively. I normally leave SI drive in Intelligent mode but when necessary "sport sharp" mode (S#) provides that extra punch. The Outback's raised ride height means more suspension travel (take that speed bumps!) and it has a smooth ride over rough surfaces. I think the Outback looks the part of a luxury wagon. The interior is upscale and comparable to my 2004 Passat. The materials feel substantial and fit and finish are excellent. Braking is very sure.

Outback 2008 3.0
By Jose Alvarado on 03/30/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

I owned a ML350 of very questionable quality and performance and two discoverys before. I pick an Outback looking for a smaller confortable car paying almost one third of the money I paid for the other cars. A big deal! Great off road and fast in road, a lot of space in a not-too-big car.

Second Beaner
By jim n. on 03/16/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

Traded our 2002 Bean Outback. This one is a much better performer but the interior has been redesigned for the worse. Controls were moved around to accomodate the opt. Nav. screen (which should be mounted on the dash). Climate controls placed low behind gearshift, audio controls lowered. You used to be able to adjust with a glance, now you have to take your eyes off the road. No storage for cds or loose change. The ashtray barely holds a chapstick. Rear seats no longer fold truly flat. Parking brake lever intrudes on drivers right leg. Odometer/temp/etc multigauge is useless and annoying.

Just Fantastic Vehicle
By Tony S on 02/17/08 04:28 AM (PST)

This is our third Outback H6. We bought our first Outback H6 in 2003 . This was our introduction to Subaru's Line. Since then we purchased 2005 and 2008 H6 model versions of the Outbacks. It is most reliable and fun to drive vehicle and it seems that Subaru just got it right all the way. Every model year gets better and better.

Safest Vehicle on the Road - Bar None.
By Dave on 02/02/08 07:04 AM (PST)

Subaru has dominated rally racing for decades and it shows. Their full-time symmetrical VTD AWD system, and their electronic stability control are STILL vastly superior to the nearly useless "slip and HOPE to grip" modified FWD systems found on the pretenders. We drove EVERY AWD NHTSA top safety pick vehicle under $40K. I forced my wife to try emergency steering maneuvers at 65 mph. The Hyundai santa Fe, and Honda Pilot were scary ,even the Acura RDX could not match the Outback's "go where you point it" highway stability. Having now driven the Outback on a lot of snowy, icy it has dramatically exceeded my already high expectations.

Surprisingly lacking in reliability....
By Morphie on 11/22/07 14:00 PM (PST)

After owning three (3) Audi's in succession, we were looking forward to a more reliable vehicle; the added bonus was a lower cost. Our problems: -Air conditioning failure at less than 1,000 miles; repaired in a few days. -Abrupt shifting of the transmission; A surprisingly difficult service department to deal with; (primarily the Service Manager). -Fit and finish much poorer than my daughter's Honda Civic; The only redeeming aspect: I was wise enough (by accident) to lease it for only two (2) years. This is our first and last Subaru. To say that I am surprised is an understatement.

Different strokes
By mikeb on 11/05/07 19:16 PM (PST)

Obviously people have had differing experiences. Mine have been superb. I had a 2004 Outback with 100,000 miles; loved it, but decided it was time for a change. Tested the RAV4, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Acura RDX; kept coming back to the Outback. After 2000 miles, it's nothing but delightful. The ride is firm but quiet. The transmission selection system works well; gear selection on hills is much better than with the 2004. Biggest surprise is the mileage; guided by the gas consumption guage, and trying to maintain a fairly light foot, I've been getting 23 mpg in-town and 27 on the Interstate (contrary to the 17/24 official rating). The car is great fun to drive.

Transmission blown at 4,200 miles
By John Kasperowicz on 09/18/07 07:10 AM (PDT)

I have owned many Subaru models in the past years. This new 2008 Outback will be my last. The transmission blew out at 4,200 miles and left me stranded. I think that the new transmission selection of different modes might have contributed to failure. This new feature is more of a gimmick than a useful option. Ride of car is not good, very jarring over small potholes or minor dips in road. Way too much road noise. Leather quality of seat not very good for 32k car. Overall, car is not worth the money and quality of parts and the interior is lower than previous models.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.