2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
It is what it is
By thebigv21 on 01/28/10 05:19 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in a Ridgeline for this vehicle. Couldn't pass up the price. It came certified bumper to bumper for 100K and only had 4K miles on it. Didn't really desire a 5 spd but I do like making the 4 cyl shift when I want it to shift. It has plenty of power. I average 25-26 mpg on about 60/40 highway/city driving. Had to purchase 4 tires because it wouldn't go in the snow. Unusual for a subaru. Why would they put high performance tires on a base wagon sold in the Northeast? Car is nothing special, but it does what it is meant to do. Good second vehicle for going back and forth to work

The vehicle I was looking for
By Ken Myers on 05/30/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced gas-guzzler 3/4-ton ’05 Chevy pickup with the ’08 Outback. My requirements; better mpg, able to pull motorcycle and its trailer, high ground clearance w/ 4-WD or AWD to traverse the 2-track to my cabin in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, handle winter snow, carry my radio-controlled planes and R/C equipment, ease of front seat access for my 85- year-old mother. Went to test drive an ’09 Forester and while waiting saw the Blue/Silver Metallic ’08 Outback and changed the test drive! The test drive, on poorly maintained paved roads, felt comfortable, and has proven so. There is a very solid feel between the car and the road. Good value. Better than a SUV for me. I like it a lot so far.

Best bang for the buck!
By Chris S. on 03/04/08 13:36 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Best all around value and functionality from any manufacturer! It's like taking a sedan, SUV, and sports car and fusing them together. Gets 30 MPG on the highway after switching to Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic.

Best Bang for Buck!
By Feilo on 12/31/07 07:29 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The OB has always been on my shortlist of cars through the years and I finally went for it when it came time to part with my (much loved and performance tuned) Passat wagon. The 2.5i is very well matched with the 5MT and I am enjoying true motoring again! Also appreciating AWD for the first time in the snow we have been having here in the Midwest. After ~6000 miles, fuel consumption has been reasonable - averaging ~26 mpg overall in 70/30 highway/urban driving, and have been trouble free. Had to upgrade the rear sway bar and tires to get handling to what I would like but then, that's not for everybody. Fit and finish is OK for what I paid for it. All in all, I am really happy with my 2.5i!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon in VA is:

$99 per month*