2008 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Question next purchase
By experiences1 on 01/29/14 13:19 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2008 subie is my 3rd subaru experience. I was reluctant to leave a review because I have been told I am too critical so you be the judge. 1998 subaru was very noisy engine wise other than that a head gasket failure at 135000 miles 2001 subaru brakes once every other year at the dealer. Coolent leaks at the heads of the engine maintained by conditioner. 2008 Head gasket leaks at 68000 miles needed replacing. wire harness broke to tail lights. Noisy catalytic converters sheilding replaced under recall which is good. 75000 miles has a skip plugs and wires. ok

2008 Outback i limited
By experiences1 on 09/27/13 06:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2008 outback we bought new when our 1998 outback head gaskets failed at 135000 miles. We were unsure if another Subaru was in our future but after driving other alternatives we returned to this manufacturer. Very stable sure footed in even the worst conditions and very easy to drive. We are impressed with the design and body integrety.

Subaru won't stand behind its product
By shemonkey on 10/14/12 15:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My air conditioner compressor failed in my 2008 Outback after 45,000 miles. The compressor was no longer covered by warranty. It cost me over $900 to replace the compressor, including parts and labor. My mechanic suggested I write a letter to Subaru of America to ask for reimbursement. I wrote a detailed letter to Subaru of America. Subaru of America wrote back with perhaps the lamest correspondence I have ever received, stating that "Subaru is not responsible for defective parts or workmanship from subcontractors." Needless to say, I will never purchase another Subaru product. My Outback is average or below average in every way, from handling to craftsmanship to fuel economy.

GREAT FAMILY CAR!
By doc5339 on 05/25/12 18:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this is an awesome car. The Outback merges safety with functionality, and driving fun. The opposed 4-cylinder (H4) has great pick-up.

2008 Subaru
By miamioolite on 07/15/11 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Third Subaru. First was an 86' GL station wagon= 279,000 miles till it rusted away aroung the engine. Second was a 96' outback=120,000 sold to a friend who took it to Baja to be a surf wagon. Bought this one used with 20k I'm now at 30k. So far, nice car, no mechanical issues, drives great, still smaller than the new ones (I wanted that) drives through almost anything (snow, sand, mud) very comfortable on the highway on long drives. Finish is solid all the plastic lines up (AHEM chrysler...) and the fuel econonmy is good 23/28. Biggest complaint, the automatic is slow, and chunky, it seems to rob the engine of power. Look for a manual. Subarus are the offical car of the Mountain West!

Poor craftsmanship
By minevem on 04/27/11 20:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our car new 3 years ago. Although not a head turner, it looked sturdy and had better gas mileage than a SUV. Some standard features a plus. Steady on the road and safe in snow/rain. Poor built quality... Cheap cabin materials. The engine went out at 38000 miles and it took 2 weeks to repair shorted cable in the engine block... I was very disappointed with it this week - took it to the dealer to have the heat shield repaired - not covered by warranty, although the dealer said every Outback gets this problem at our mileage (49000). Door handle broke - not covered. The handle actually fell out...

Needs to be bigger and stronger...
By nek_md on 12/11/10 20:58 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the Subie for its safety and reliability. I did not do my homework on the performance of the vehicle, nor on its interior space. The engine is adequate, but the 4AT is a lousy transmission. The car works too hard to find the right gear, and kick-down's are frequent and blatant when the engine is working hard. The rear seat was woefully inadequate for accommodating a standard infant seat without pushing the corresponding passenger seat up all the way. This led us to trade in the vehicle. The car was reliable while we had it. No complaints there. The paint quality was thin and there were rattles in the dash that shouldn't have been there for a young car.

Great car! Fun to drive. Great performer
By 2008XT on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is one of the best cars I have ever driven. The performance of a sports car in a functional everyday vehicle. We need to purchase another vehicle which will be another Outback, but I am not happy that Subaru stopped making the XT model. If you own one and would like be able to buy another one, call Subaru and complain. If enough of us do, maybe they will bring the XT back. In the meantime I guess I'm stuck with the 6 cyl.

Gotta love my 2008 Outback
By Dr. Bob on 08/23/10 14:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/Nav, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently traded cars with my wife. She got the 2007 Lexus ES 350 and I got the 2008 Subaru Outback LL Bean--I won the trade. (OK, we both think we won.) My loves: I (a 6' guy) love the front seating and the views through the windows. I love the solid, absolutely confident feel that the car will go exactly where I point it. I really like the gas mileage. This is a 6 cylinder car, I average 26.1 miles and get 29.4 on the highway driving at a steady 72 mph. The seat fits me like a glove, I love this front seat. Lastly, I love the cargo capacity. You cannot possibly fill this car up. My wishes: I would love brighter headlights and a bigger back seat.

The Transmission?
By seamus fogarty on 05/05/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

This is our 4th Subaru, 99 ,04 Legasc, 05, and 2008 llbean 6 cyl, , generally good all around, except for the transmission, it keeps, shunting, the gears, as all the other were smooth, feels like a driver with a standard shift, jerking the clutch, this is very disturbing, I had the 30,000, mile service last week, and to-day had to take it back to valley motors, that service cost $ 544. And that was fine, except that the transmission, issue was not resolved, now I am waiting for a call from valley motors, one other thing with the service/engineers, or lack of, the handbrake was adjusted so tight, that one had to be a mr Atlas to pull it up .

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.