2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
The best all round vehicle ever
By Dreister on 08/11/09 20:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Outback Turbo XT with manual transmission for just over a year, and I must say that I've found the perfect match! I love how I can change the driving style by a click of the button, if I want to accelerate off a red light like Andretti, I can by flipping the S# button, and boy do you feel that power! If I want to take it easy on a longer drive or in traffic and conserve gas, flip it to I and I can rest at ease knowing my car is doing its best to conserve energy. The fact that the clearance on my Outback beats most large SUV's is phenomenal for a car this size. I've gone off- roading in Big Bend and I've been able to go down trails Explorers couldn't dream of tackling.

Very nice car-- get the 5 spd XT!
By georg on 07/20/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our second Outback 2.5 5spd. Our first qas a 2006 Limited 2.5 5 spd that had a persistent air conditioner interior leak that we rolled over in at 45 mph and walked away fine. We replaced it with our current vehicle because it has the VDC. This Outback is great; the fit and finish is perfect. The XT should be purchased with the 5spd; the power of the engine in Sport# and the delayed shifting is a great experience.

Growing family needs AWD
By newdad101 on 05/03/08 08:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It was tough to trade in my boy car (WRX) for a wagon, but that's what kids will do to a guy. But with the XT, one does not have to sacrifice some fun! Not quite as much fun as an audi s4 wagon or bmw 335xi wagon, but a good 'total' package.

Back to Subaru
By David Smith on 04/26/08 11:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my fourth Subaru Outback. For the last 4 years I drove a Volvo S60. The Volvo was a great car but had no clearance and was very expensive to maintain. I was excited to get back into a Subaru. I did have a problem with a tire when the valve stem came out while adding air pressure. The first dealership could not replace the original stem (did not have the part) and charged me for a replacement. It took a second dealership to get it right under warranty. I am also experiencing an electrical problem, the radio display and wipers will cut out randomly. They are always working when I take the car in so to date the problem has not been fixed.

A great practical wagon
By eds on 03/24/08 14:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Read all the car tests and test drove15 different cars. The Outback 2.5xt with manual shift just made the most sense. Very classy functional exterior design. Instrumentation better than my Audi. I'm 61 - this wagon was designed for adults but with the turbo its fun to drive-easily better than a Honda CRV.

Word of Warning
By John Q Public on 10/23/07 11:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

While I was initially excited about the purchase after test driving a well running car, my "dealer locate" vehicle arrived with what is commonly known as "stutter" under boost. The two dealers I have taken the car to both acknowledged the car does not run correctly, but they don't know how to fix it since it is most likely a computer issue. The dealership has "reflashes" for different turbo models and it will fix the problem on some cars but not all and it often returns. Subaru customer service has been no help, not even offering try replacing the computer on a $32k car with 6k mi. I am going to lemon law it.

Do Everything
By Ron Boller on 05/22/07 10:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Have a 2002 WRX, wanted a vehicle with power and handling that had more room, more ground clearance and more comfort. The Outback XT fit the bill. The WRX is fun and to this point bullet proof. The Outback does not corner as well, but is a fast and much more comfortable. So far so good.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.