Used 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

The best all round vehicle ever
By Dreister

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Outback Turbo XT with manual transmission for just over a year, and I must say that I've found the perfect match! I love how I can change the driving style by a click of the button, if I want to accelerate off a red light like Andretti, I can by flipping the S# button, and boy do you feel that power! If I want to take it easy on a longer drive or in traffic and conserve gas, flip it to I and I can rest at ease knowing my car is doing its best to conserve energy. The fact that the clearance on my Outback beats most large SUV's is phenomenal for a car this size. I've gone off- roading in Big Bend and I've been able to go down trails Explorers couldn't dream of tackling.

Favorite Features

Very large sun/moon roof (almost makes you feel like it's a convertible!), Plush interior while maintaining its utilitarian characteristics of an off-road vehicle. My dog loves the cargo area!

Suggested Improvements

Increase the leg room for the back seat passengers.

Very nice car-- get the 5 spd XT!
By georg

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our second Outback 2.5 5spd. Our first qas a 2006 Limited 2.5 5 spd that had a persistent air conditioner interior leak that we rolled over in at 45 mph and walked away fine. We replaced it with our current vehicle because it has the VDC. This Outback is great; the fit and finish is perfect. The XT should be purchased with the 5spd; the power of the engine in Sport# and the delayed shifting is a great experience.

Favorite Features

XT with the 5spd. The comfortable seats; the large sunroof. Sure-footed in dirt, rain and snow. fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

LATCH in the middle back seat; the car seat cannot be placed in the middle according the owner's manual. With a car seat in the rear, the pass seat is very forward position. Synchronized Reverse: sometimes getting into R can be hard, it could just be the short shifter. The lack of Bluetooth.

Growing family needs AWD
By newdad101

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It was tough to trade in my boy car (WRX) for a wagon, but that's what kids will do to a guy. But with the XT, one does not have to sacrifice some fun! Not quite as much fun as an audi s4 wagon or bmw 335xi wagon, but a good 'total' package.

Favorite Features

Safety ratings, AWD, better clearance than most SUVs, decent handling and power. XT has very good interior trim and finish and Subaru reliability is well known.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot stand wing mirror control or location. Dual zone climate control stinks compared to Audi A4 (only other wagon I compared before buying). Subaru still can't get remote key system right, poor ergonomics. Premium stereo is standard quality on most econo vehicles. Cornering performance is slushy.

Back to Subaru
By David Smith

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my fourth Subaru Outback. For the last 4 years I drove a Volvo S60. The Volvo was a great car but had no clearance and was very expensive to maintain. I was excited to get back into a Subaru. I did have a problem with a tire when the valve stem came out while adding air pressure. The first dealership could not replace the original stem (did not have the part) and charged me for a replacement. It took a second dealership to get it right under warranty. I am also experiencing an electrical problem, the radio display and wipers will cut out randomly. They are always working when I take the car in so to date the problem has not been fixed.

Favorite Features

Great ride and comfortable seats. The turbo option is wonderful and I would not do without this feature in any future purchase. Controls are easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

The storage space is the big drawback. Very difficult to use the side space on the door unless you have extremely small hands. You have to reach back to get into center counsel which is difficult to do when driving. You also have to turn the steering wheel in order to lock it. Requires practice.

A great practical wagon
By eds

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Read all the car tests and test drove15 different cars. The Outback 2.5xt with manual shift just made the most sense. Very classy functional exterior design. Instrumentation better than my Audi. I'm 61 - this wagon was designed for adults but with the turbo its fun to drive-easily better than a Honda CRV.

Favorite Features

Design, gauges, power, ride, seat comfort, price.

Suggested Improvements

Should have a 6 speed. Grey or brown interior option.