Used 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Question next purchase
By experiences1

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2008 subie is my 3rd subaru experience. I was reluctant to leave a review because I have been told I am too critical so you be the judge. 1998 subaru was very noisy engine wise other than that a head gasket failure at 135000 miles 2001 subaru brakes once every other year at the dealer. Coolent leaks at the heads of the engine maintained by conditioner. 2008 Head gasket leaks at 68000 miles needed replacing. wire harness broke to tail lights. Noisy catalytic converters sheilding replaced under recall which is good. 75000 miles has a skip plugs and wires. ok

Favorite Features

Very stable. Comfortable ride awesome in the in climate weather. body holds up well and nice design. heated seats and heaters everywhere are perfect in snow and ice.

Suggested Improvements

Engine mostly in regards to the head issues. Surprised so many issues. Please correct the engine issues. I can deal with the other minors.

2008 Outback i limited
By experiences1

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2008 outback we bought new when our 1998 outback head gaskets failed at 135000 miles. We were unsure if another Subaru was in our future but after driving other alternatives we returned to this manufacturer. Very stable sure footed in even the worst conditions and very easy to drive. We are impressed with the design and body integrety.

Favorite Features

under carrage and seams coated for a long life and easy care. Very stable and great in snow and ice. Good visability and noise control adequate storage for items. good brake life, tire life, acceptable bulb life, reasonable Maintenance times although expensive.

Suggested Improvements

Luggage rack rails could be a option ( never use or slightly use rack. Imposes a wind resistence head gaskets failed at 60000 (oil leakage) nearly 1800 to correct on a carefully maintained Subie. Wire to rear hatch broke at the pivot point requiring repair bends too close for wire strand count to forgive the motion quirky remote start. Heat sheild and catalytic noice when cold (one replaced under recall but still some noise) as exhaust routing is tight.

Our 2208 Ru is a Little Tight
By Barry

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We had a 1998 Ru Outback that we gave to our son and bought our 2008 Ru in July of 2007. The Ru rides great, has good mileage, 25MPG around town, it also looks great. Our Ru has been very reliable. Only problems so far has been a power steering arm that was leaking when we bought the car new. That was replaced under warranty. We have had an intermittent rattle under the car, especially when cold. Took it to two different Subaru dealers and they could not duplicate the problem. Went to our Subaru dealer in Flagstaff and they finally found the problem, something about the catalytic converter which will be replaced under warranty.

Favorite Features

Great ride, once you are in the seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

My wife loved the 1998 Ru so much she did not test drive the 2008. It is much smaller inside than our old RU. Little leg room in the back. I cannot get my knees under the steering wheel when the tilt is fully raised and the seat lowered. There is more room now with later models.

A Happy Subie owner
By A Happy Subie owner

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely fell in love with this vehicle after I saw quite a few on the road driving around. After doing my research and going to this website (www.edmunds.com) and Subaru's website, reading all of the great comments people had on this particular vehicle, I was sold. I got the sport package with the heated seats and the heated mirrors. I think the heated seats will help me in those cold winter early mornings to work when i have to clear the sidewalks at a school where i work at.

Favorite Features

The automatic seat (driver's). Also the aux. jack for the mp3 player I own. Also, like the fact that it is all wheel drive, which would make it perfect to drive in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Change the location of the aux. jack. Put it up on the actual stereo itself. Other than that, change nothing. It is perfect.

Pleasantly Impressed
By Rick Drewyour

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Subaru. For a utilitarian vehicle, it rides better than my Honda Accord. It handles great and I really like all the safety features. Easy exit/entry with the higer ground clearance. Sunroof is noisy when only wing is opened. Mileage is 25 mixed and 30 on the highway. Good looks and sporty feel.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort. Safety ratings. Solid feeling and sounding car. Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Not impressed with Bridgestone Potenza tires. Noisy sunroof. Auto temp control always starts in a/c mode no matter what the temp is.