Used 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Most Helpful|
Great find!
By Lee2706

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 1995 Legacy wagon that aspired to be an Outback. Years later, I bought the car I always wanted! My big feet took some getting used to in the footbox, not to say that it is cramped, but pedals are closer than my Honda. I am no WRC racer, but I do like how easy the clutch engages and shifting action feels great. Is surprisingly responsive when passing, especially for a four banger that is a bit heavy in the hips. Excited for the snow and rain, I'd like to see how the AWD handles it. Mileage is better than expected, 27+ in 50/50 city/hwy (as long as the dash computer is correct).

Favorite Features

Rear storage options, fold down rears, supportive seats, seat warmers, shifting action and clutch, 5M rocks! Stereo has hidden Aux port and plays MP3 discs. Overall compact for having similar height clearance as behemoth SUVs. Sedan-like drive with utility characteristics. 12V socket in cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Dumb ashtray, is now a messy change cup. Shallow glovebox, fits manual and little else. Center armrest ext'n (option) blocks one cup holder when up. Need stereo controls on wheel for basic model, not just the 6CD changer model of the Limited and beyond. More 5MTs through model line.

Love this car
By soldonsuby

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car does what it does. Traded out of 1/2 ton full size pick up. I am very impressed w/ interior design, layout and comfort. I have big feet so the pedals could all use some more spacing but is not a problem. I like the aux audio jack but wonder why its hidden the console compartment. This does make it easy to "hide" what you have plugged into it. Hmm. The engine power is adequate and fuel economy is great for AWD vehicle of this size. Handling and ride comfort are excellent. Note on the cruise control... would like to tap the accel/decel buttons a number of times and have the speed change the corresponding number of MPH.

Favorite Features

AWD, aux audio input, ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of annoying seat belt buzzer and make cruise control operate properly.

Happy Outback owner
By happy Outback owner

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback 2.5i 5-speed manual for about 6000 miles, and I'm very happy with it. It gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, handles well, deals with lousy weather very well, has plenty of room, and looks great. My mileage has averaged 25.4 mpg overall since I bought it, with a low of 22.2 mpg and a high of 30.3 mpg. That's good for an AWD vehicle. With the 5-speed manual it feels lively and energetic, and the manual transmission shifts very easily. It's a great all-around vehicle that can handle pretty much anything thrown at it and do it very well. It's a practical car that's enjoyable to drive.

Favorite Features

I like the large cargo area, the handling is great, the fuel economy is good, and the car is put together very well with high-quality materials. With good tires, it is a great foul-weather vehicle. I love having a manual transmission...makes driving it a lot of fun!

Suggested Improvements

The back seat is a little tight on legroom for tall people. The OEM Bridgestone RE92A tires are not good in snow. There's no stability control available unless you step up to the limited or LLBean models with an auto transmission.

Great Choice
By Doug

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research and really wanted to buy my 4th Honda. I looked at the CRV and didn’t like the interior. I am a fly fisherman and like to have a vehicle in which I can lie down and take a rest. I have a serious back problem and need to take breaks in my fishing day. The CRV just wasn’t able to provide a long rear floor space. When the rear seats are folded down there is plenty of room for me at 5’9”. Interestingly enough, the Honda dealer sent us to Subaru! The Subie us everything I wanted. I am an environmentalist and biologist so my carbon footprint and controlling pollution output is important. So far we have gotten 25 mpg in mixed driving short trips (a bit disapointing).

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the ride/handling combination. The wheel base is long enough to prevent pitching yet short enough to allow for a fairly tight turning radius. The smoothness of the ride is exceptional in a “crossover” vehicle and the AWD gives a sense of security that is difficult to match.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable passenger side seating would be desirable. I should have gone up to the Limited except I really wanted the manual gear box. There needs to be a coin box and some other accouterments in the cabin. The standard arm rest is weak and I fear it will eventually break.

None better at this price
By Eastharlemboy

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First 4500 miles impressions: good handling, comfortable, quiet, decent stereo, sufficient (not great) power, averaging 28 MPG. For around $21K - $22K I believe this car is a bargain compared to other all wheel drive vehicles.

Favorite Features

Handling in bad weather, fuel economy, standard safety features, easy to see and to use instrument panel and controls.

Suggested Improvements

Could be a bit more powerfull (without compromising fuel economy).