2007 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: So far so good

2007 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

So far so good
By DUG7714 on

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Traded my Grand Cherokee for this. Much better driver, obviously. Power is similar but handling is a world better. 20 MPG on the first tank - about equal city, highway driving in the DC area. Expect that to improve a bit. Takes a while for turbo to kick in, but I had been driving in 'Intelligent' mode a lot. After a weekend trip into the western PA mountains, my mileage seems to be improving. The seats were comfortable and the ride was great - hwy and city. I usually stop at least once on the 3 hour ride, but didn't feel the need to. Switched to Sport mode for most driving and have been enjoying the Sportshift manual. Also shopped BMW 328xi, Audi,Volvo,Saab. BMW came close, but too much $$.

Comfortable seating. Great handling. Good power. Awesome moonroof. Plenty of room to haul cargo - don't notice a difference from the size of my Jeep. Glad I waited till this year to get SI-Drive, VDC, iPod audio jack. Best deal for the dough.

Goofy shifter controls on steering wheel - give me audio controls if I can't have real paddle shifters. Not convinced 'Intelligent' gives me better mileage than 'Sport'. Averaging about 21 in mostly hwy driving and I don't have a lead foot. Why do I have to pay $300+ to get XM installed?