Good car, great value
By LL on
2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
This is my first Subaru. I can't report on reliability yet but I think the car is much undervalued (Audi, Volvo?). I actually left the US and brought it with me to Europe (it costs about double here!); drove it across the continent during winter, pulls you nicely out of snow, handles well on the dry road (although certainly not like a BMW), okay mileage but rather poor at high freeway speeds (I guess it's the AWD, ground clearance and relatively big size, btw, backseats down and the cargo sleeps 2 people v. comfy), feels friendly, safe, uncomplicated yet sufficiently equipped, practical and robust, non-flashy and well respected. Maintenance + engine compartment will be the next frontier.
Favorite Features
I like, of course, the AWD-wagon combination and versatility (you're driving a car not a truck!) the cargo space, the easy cruise control, the friendly, balanced interior, the safety features and feel that you can go anywhere anytime with this car.
Suggested Improvements
Framless windows hazardous, get frames; body steel too thin, easily dentable; more back passenger legroom; a little more power (for accelerating/passing); higher gear ratio or 6th gear for freeway mileage; longer clutch run; better speakers (more bass); eliminate high-pitch noise from daylights;