Used 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic Wagon Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Fouth one is stilll depentable
By s u

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am on my forth Subaru and still recommend them. I have never had to do any repairs, just normal up keep. My only complaint about this 2007 model is the heating system changes. They made the heating ports for the leg and feet area very small. Does not keep you warm in colder weather. And less outside air comes in the vent at other times of the year . It would be nice if Subaru gave you the option of taking the car out of all wheel drive when not needed. This would improve the gas mileage. Still a trust worthy car.

Love / Hate Relationship
By Dave

Reasons for Hate:

"Inexpensive and Built to Stay That Way" Ha! Whatever happen to that philosophy Subaru? Well, my 2007 Outback has been one of the most expensive cars to maintain. I have spent over $12,000 dollars in maintenance costs over the last 9 years - not including tire replacement.

Your engineers should really do something about the Head Gasket issue as well as the flimsy boots on the front axles that require the entire axle to be replaced - and all too often. Certainly there are longer lasting materials out there for boot covers, or at least find a reliable way to replace the boot and not the whole axle.
I have also replaced the clutch assembly twice, which is an exceedingly expensive job! It would have been cheaper for me to just upgrade to the Automatic Transmission when I first bought the car.
<br><br>
Reasons to Love:

Maybe I'm shallow, but the only reason I do not trade the car in on something else is the fact that it is the most striking wagon design in recent memory - if not longer - if you have a long memory! It's an All-Wheel-Drive Sports car that just happens to be a wagon. The car has no bad angles!
I just wish that the newer Outbacks had not lost their wagon roots. Any Outback after 2010 just seems to be struggling with an identity crisis, although the newer [2015+] models have shed some of their awkward bulges in favor of more subtle curves. You may be on the right path with the newer Outback, but just get the mechanical issues right!

Best of many worlds
By Dave

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2007 Subaru Outback is not a power vehicle, but it has enough power to take off if need be. The all wheel drive is great off-road and in the snow with the ride in both areas as calm as can be expected. I love having the wagon space when I need it, though I have run into times when I can't fit what I would like because the car is too short or not wide enough with the wheel wells. Gas mileage is right at 26 mph no matter how I drive. Freeway trip mileage is around 28.

Usable space. All wheel drive.

I do not like the no frame windows. Everybody grabs them to close the doors. I would like to see a more useful payload, as its only listed at 950 lbs in my version.

Beware high altitude driving
By denver5357

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought our 2.5i wagon a month ago. Good value for the money but I have stumbled upon an existing problem which is apparently being kept quiet. We live in Colorado, and our brand new Subaru starts slowly in cold temps and barely started when we have gone into the mountains (9000+ feet of altitude). This seems to be a common problem around here, though I haven't read of it anywhere. The programming parameters for the car's electronics somehow don't properly take into account the effect of altitude. Mountain owners (say the dealer) have trouble starting Outbacks all the time. Called Subaru of America and was assigned a case number. This should have been fixed years ago. New battery had no effect.

AWD, nice features for the money inside, like the rugged styling (apparently going away in 2008!).

Fix the slow/no start up problem; this is a car made for mountain snow - why won't it start there? Wider (not longer) leg room in driver seat.

Basics have come a long way.
By MovinAlong

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a contract with Jeep to build a Compass with a M6 but they are holding production of manual transmissions, so I went with the Subaru. This turns out to be a wiser deal. The interior is much nicer and the overall quality of the Subaru is much better. I love the feel of running through the gears although I wish I could run first a little higher although it is beneficial to have a LOW gear for starting on hills. I still have a Jeep Liberty (wife's) and this is my first venture into a foreign (Ohio) car. I really have to say I am pleased with all that comes standard on this car.

When you pull the hand brake the running lights turn off. Dome light slowly dims. MP3 plug (even for a young sixty year old). Lumbar support and height adjustment on seat. Good feel to the gear box. Gas at 300 miles of mostly suburban and city seems to be around 24mpg (not exact yet).

A little less engine noise at highway speeds. A little higher gear ratio for 5th, 2800 rpm at 60mph seems high but may be needed for a 2.5L although the gas mileage is good.