Used 2007 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Most Helpful|
Nothing but trouble
By sstteevvee

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a number of cars in my life, unfortunately this is easily the worst. Before 85,000 miles, this Outback has had the classic blown head gasket($2000+), catalytic converter gone bad($1000+), velocity joint boot/control arm/strut problem that ruined four tires. The car is just poorly designed. It's noisy, has uncomfortable seats(poor thigh support outside of drivers seat) and a terrible design of the cargo roof rails that doesn't allow for a secure attachment of crossbars or a wide spread of the cross bars.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. All wheel drive, but gas mileage does suffer.

Suggested Improvements

A new engineering department would be a start!

Don't see the quality
By stevenm5

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am writing this for my sister, because I end up dealing with her problems and doing all the maintenance. She bought it new, the windshield leaked, and leaked and leaked, five trips to the dealer before it stopped. The wiper motor, two on the front, one rear, under warranty, but still. Leaked oil out of the sending unit, the valve cover gaskets, the drain plug, separate incidents. Chews through tires, 25-30K Bridgestones, not expensive tires, but not cheap either. Wheel bearings: at 100,000 miles she has had to do all four, the first ones at 50,000 miles. Now the head gaskets are leaking. This car is history, If she buys another one, she's on her own.

Favorite Features

Good in snow, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Worse than average reliability for a Japanese car. Poor fuel economy: 22-25, that's really poor milage for a non-turbo four cylinder. The same year Ford Escape AWD with six gets better economy. Cheap fabric interior, stains too easily. Too cramped for big guys like me, definitely a ladies car.

Great Car with a few critical deficiencies
By subroo13

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a 2007 LL Bean with Nav. The navigation stopped working a few days ago (after 3 years) - i.e., the screen does not turn on anymore. The dealer was indicating a few thousand dollars for replacement, which I'm not going to. The cruise control does not work in downward inclines. The rear lock (lock to the doggy door) went bad twice. We got it fixed at an authorized dealership in Salt Lake City (Nate Wade) but it went wrong again within a year. On the positive, we just change oil and take it everywhere - in the most horrible roads in deep UT and travelled cross country in the US.

Favorite Features

Seat warmer (in a cloth seat), audio system, great gas mileage, handling, all wheel drive (esp. in snow)

Suggested Improvements

design!

Subaru, where did the reliability go?
By equiuga

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car, but it has had soooo many issues that a car with 70K should NOT have. Both boots in front, the front AXLE!, front bushings, rear wheel bearing, DS seat malfunction, Ck engine lights to name a few. I get my regular incredibly expensive maintenances done and expect more out of a car that I paid this much for. I spoke to a lady with a 08 model and she even had to have her transmission replaced at 30K plus many other MAJOR repairs. I actually chose this car over a honda and I now regret it. Subaru, where has your quality gone?

Favorite Features

styling, looks, engine pulls well for a 4cyl.

Suggested Improvements

MAKE A RELIABLE CAR!

The quality and love are gone!
By bobg04

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I previously owned a '97 Outback, so when I got a deal on the '07 I was excited at first. I liked the high ground clearance, more horsepower, larger fuel tank, and roomy interior. Then I noticed the still weak fuel efficiency, cheap knobs, cheap and hard to clean interior fabric, and door windows that catch (like my '97). This was nothing when my head gasket went at 97.5 k miles, like my '97 head gasket that went at 105 k. Subaru said they fixed this, but too many others have had the same problem. It's inexcuseable. I think Subaru have lost their quality, and owe all of us the cost of the repair for their poor design. Next time I'm looking for another brand of car.

Favorite Features

The all-wheel drive in a small sized vehicle, which can be found in other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Learn how to make a head gasket! Use quality materials for the interior - you charge enough for the cars to afford it!