Used 2007 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Love my Outback
By Beth Martensen

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nicest car I have owned yet. Very happy with my purchase. This is my second Subaru and I am looking forward to the many adventures it will take me too. I had my Subaru Forester for nine years and it never left me stranded. It also held its value and I sold it for over Kelly Blue Book even with 209,000 miles. I plan to keep my Outback for at least 9 to 10 years. I love owning a Subaru, it is perfect for the outdoor lifestyle we enjoy.

Fouth one is stilll depentable
By s u

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am on my forth Subaru and still recommend them. I have never had to do any repairs, just normal up keep. My only complaint about this 2007 model is the heating system changes. They made the heating ports for the leg and feet area very small. Does not keep you warm in colder weather. And less outside air comes in the vent at other times of the year . It would be nice if Subaru gave you the option of taking the car out of all wheel drive when not needed. This would improve the gas mileage. Still a trust worthy car.

Love / Hate Relationship
By Dave

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Reasons for Hate:

"Inexpensive and Built to Stay That Way" Ha! Whatever happen to that philosophy Subaru? Well, my 2007 Outback has been one of the most expensive cars to maintain. I have spent over $12,000 dollars in maintenance costs over the last 9 years - not including tire replacement.

Your engineers should really do something about the Head Gasket issue as well as the flimsy boots on the front axles that require the entire axle to be replaced - and all too often. Certainly there are longer lasting materials out there for boot covers, or at least find a reliable way to replace the boot and not the whole axle.
I have also replaced the clutch assembly twice, which is an exceedingly expensive job! It would have been cheaper for me to just upgrade to the Automatic Transmission when I first bought the car.
<br><br>
Reasons to Love:

Maybe I'm shallow, but the only reason I do not trade the car in on something else is the fact that it is the most striking wagon design in recent memory - if not longer - if you have a long memory! It's an All-Wheel-Drive Sports car that just happens to be a wagon. The car has no bad angles!
I just wish that the newer Outbacks had not lost their wagon roots. Any Outback after 2010 just seems to be struggling with an identity crisis, although the newer [2015+] models have shed some of their awkward bulges in favor of more subtle curves. You may be on the right path with the newer Outback, but just get the mechanical issues right!

Rock Solid car with only few minor glitches
By Thomas Leahy

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned the 2.5 XT Limited 5 speed manual for 8 yrs ( bought it new ), currently has just under 120k miles.
During that time I've driven it HARD, towed 1 ton of hay behind it for about 10 miles ( no kidding I really have towed a trailer with about 1 ton of hay on board. Yes, it was overloading the car a bit, but it handled it fine, keeping the speed down of course ).
I take it on gravel roads on camping trips regularly. It's very solid on wet roads in driving rain in the Pacific Northwest. It's solid in snow too, although I had not the best snow tires on it ( Hankook snow tires from Les Schwab, they were not great, don't recommend them, still needed chains to get up hill to my house )
Had one problem a few years ago where car would not start if the engine was hot : you run into the store for an errand and come out after 10/15 mins and car won't start. Wait another 20 / 25 mins and it starts fine. Happened intermittently. Took dealership a long time to track it down. Finally we replaced some sensor on the engine, I forget which one, and the problem has never re-occured.
My wife doesn't like driving the car as she finds the position of the pedals very cramped and it forces her foot to an awkward angle for the gas pedal.
Also, the back seats are pretty cramped. It's not really an ideal car for young kids in car seats as we found out.
Agree with another reviewer that the roof rails are not the easiest to adjust. Was just barely able to make it work with a 16 cubic feet Thule cargo box.
The gearbox is certainly not "smooth" but you get used to it and it does the job. Was told by the dealership when we bought it that it has a tougher gearbox and clutch to support the bigger engine on this turbo model so maybe that's why it's not so smooth.
But overall if you like to "drive", it's a fun car to drive. You can throw it around twisty country roads and it'll totally hold the road and go where you want it to go with no hesitation.
Had a few minor repairs, mostly things like rubber boots on CV joints, mostly items I considered wear and tear from the way I drive it.
Fuel efficiency is about what could be expected from a 2007 vintage AWD. Easily get 28mpg on a long highway trip and average 23mpg in mixed driving.
I have been diligent in doing all factory recommended servicing right on schedule, not sure if that contributes to my good results, but it can't hurt anyway !

Wish I never bought you
By Carm

2007 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I heard from so many people that I should buy a subaru because it's great in the snow. They were right about the car on the snow, but I have had nothing but problems with my subaru. If you can think of a million problems that could go wrong with this car, it's happened! I bought my car from a one owner driver at 60K miles and my problems began 4 months after I bought. It hasn't stopped, so it's time to trade it in! I think I've put 3000 dollars in the car and have owned it for less than 2 years.