Used 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Best of many worlds
By Dave

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2007 Subaru Outback is not a power vehicle, but it has enough power to take off if need be. The all wheel drive is great off-road and in the snow with the ride in both areas as calm as can be expected. I love having the wagon space when I need it, though I have run into times when I can't fit what I would like because the car is too short or not wide enough with the wheel wells. Gas mileage is right at 26 mph no matter how I drive. Freeway trip mileage is around 28.

Favorite Features

Usable space. All wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

I do not like the no frame windows. Everybody grabs them to close the doors. I would like to see a more useful payload, as its only listed at 950 lbs in my version.

Beware high altitude driving
By denver5357

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought our 2.5i wagon a month ago. Good value for the money but I have stumbled upon an existing problem which is apparently being kept quiet. We live in Colorado, and our brand new Subaru starts slowly in cold temps and barely started when we have gone into the mountains (9000+ feet of altitude). This seems to be a common problem around here, though I haven't read of it anywhere. The programming parameters for the car's electronics somehow don't properly take into account the effect of altitude. Mountain owners (say the dealer) have trouble starting Outbacks all the time. Called Subaru of America and was assigned a case number. This should have been fixed years ago. New battery had no effect.

Favorite Features

AWD, nice features for the money inside, like the rugged styling (apparently going away in 2008!).

Suggested Improvements

Fix the slow/no start up problem; this is a car made for mountain snow - why won't it start there? Wider (not longer) leg room in driver seat.

Basics have come a long way.
By MovinAlong

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a contract with Jeep to build a Compass with a M6 but they are holding production of manual transmissions, so I went with the Subaru. This turns out to be a wiser deal. The interior is much nicer and the overall quality of the Subaru is much better. I love the feel of running through the gears although I wish I could run first a little higher although it is beneficial to have a LOW gear for starting on hills. I still have a Jeep Liberty (wife's) and this is my first venture into a foreign (Ohio) car. I really have to say I am pleased with all that comes standard on this car.

Favorite Features

When you pull the hand brake the running lights turn off. Dome light slowly dims. MP3 plug (even for a young sixty year old). Lumbar support and height adjustment on seat. Good feel to the gear box. Gas at 300 miles of mostly suburban and city seems to be around 24mpg (not exact yet).

Suggested Improvements

A little less engine noise at highway speeds. A little higher gear ratio for 5th, 2800 rpm at 60mph seems high but may be needed for a 2.5L although the gas mileage is good.

Lovin' it
By SWN

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this to replace a Forester - 500 miles so far and I love it. Great lines, nice cockpit feel, handling is excellent. Very well equipped for a base model, including AWD and all Subaru's standard safety features. 2007 base model dropped in price from last year due to them removing alloys, electric driver seat, rear cargo area cover...I don't need that, I'd rather save $1500.

Favorite Features

Handling, AWD, fuel economy, style, build quality, stereo with aux input for iPod.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is a little cramped if you have long legs, front passenger seat a little cramped with rear facing car seat behind it. A sacrifice for large trunk I guess. Sunroof option would be nice.

2.5i 5M
By zfk

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the base Outback about a month, so far it is a good car. The rear hatch started rattling after only 600 miles took it back to the dealer who fixed it. Compared to other brands this one seems pretty solid. I like the ride, it has plenty of hp, mileage is average just under 28.

Favorite Features

Good HP, smooth ride, responsive for awd.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic clutch rest is cheap/creaks, doors could be hung better (including rear hatch), spot mirrors standard would help with blind spots.