2007 Subaru Outback 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2007 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

2007 Outback Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Best of many worlds
By Dave

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My 2007 Subaru Outback is not a power vehicle, but it has enough power to take off if need be. The all wheel drive is great off-road and in the snow with the ride in both areas as calm as can be expected. I love having the wagon space when I need it, though I have run into times when I can't fit what I would like because the car is too short or not wide enough with the wheel wells. Gas mileage is right at 26 mph no matter how I drive. Freeway trip mileage is around 28.

Favorite Features

Usable space. All wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

I do not like the no frame windows. Everybody grabs them to close the doors. I would like to see a more useful payload, as its only listed at 950 lbs in my version.

Beware high altitude driving
By denver5357

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought our 2.5i wagon a month ago. Good value for the money but I have stumbled upon an existing problem which is apparently being kept quiet. We live in Colorado, and our brand new Subaru starts slowly in cold temps and barely started when we have gone into the mountains (9000+ feet of altitude). This seems to be a common problem around here, though I haven't read of it anywhere. The programming parameters for the car's electronics somehow don't properly take into account the effect of altitude. Mountain owners (say the dealer) have trouble starting Outbacks all the time. Called Subaru of America and was assigned a case number. This should have been fixed years ago. New battery had no effect.

Favorite Features

AWD, nice features for the money inside, like the rugged styling (apparently going away in 2008!).

Suggested Improvements

Fix the slow/no start up problem; this is a car made for mountain snow - why won't it start there? Wider (not longer) leg room in driver seat.

Basics have come a long way.
By MovinAlong

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a contract with Jeep to build a Compass with a M6 but they are holding production of manual transmissions, so I went with the Subaru. This turns out to be a wiser deal. The interior is much nicer and the overall quality of the Subaru is much better. I love the feel of running through the gears although I wish I could run first a little higher although it is beneficial to have a LOW gear for starting on hills. I still have a Jeep Liberty (wife's) and this is my first venture into a foreign (Ohio) car. I really have to say I am pleased with all that comes standard on this car.

Favorite Features

When you pull the hand brake the running lights turn off. Dome light slowly dims. MP3 plug (even for a young sixty year old). Lumbar support and height adjustment on seat. Good feel to the gear box. Gas at 300 miles of mostly suburban and city seems to be around 24mpg (not exact yet).

Suggested Improvements

A little less engine noise at highway speeds. A little higher gear ratio for 5th, 2800 rpm at 60mph seems high but may be needed for a 2.5L although the gas mileage is good.

Lovin' it
By SWN

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this to replace a Forester - 500 miles so far and I love it. Great lines, nice cockpit feel, handling is excellent. Very well equipped for a base model, including AWD and all Subaru's standard safety features. 2007 base model dropped in price from last year due to them removing alloys, electric driver seat, rear cargo area cover...I don't need that, I'd rather save $1500.

Favorite Features

Handling, AWD, fuel economy, style, build quality, stereo with aux input for iPod.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat is a little cramped if you have long legs, front passenger seat a little cramped with rear facing car seat behind it. A sacrifice for large trunk I guess. Sunroof option would be nice.

2.5i 5M
By zfk

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the base Outback about a month, so far it is a good car. The rear hatch started rattling after only 600 miles took it back to the dealer who fixed it. Compared to other brands this one seems pretty solid. I like the ride, it has plenty of hp, mileage is average just under 28.

Favorite Features

Good HP, smooth ride, responsive for awd.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic clutch rest is cheap/creaks, doors could be hung better (including rear hatch), spot mirrors standard would help with blind spots.

2.5 Outback Basic / Auto
By JP

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm always hesitant when a model says "basic", however the basic outback is far from that, with so many standard features. For the price this may be may best vehicle purchase ever. The only addition to ours is Auto transmission, floor mats, and cargo tray. The gas mileage is better than advertised, so far I'm getting better than 24 mpg city. The Outback rides nice and sits firmly on the road, the interior is plenty spacious and very comfortable. We live in the Rockies and spend significant time driving in snow/wet roads, so an AWD vehicle was a must...Subaru has the best! I would buy another in a minute.

Favorite Features

-Standard MP3 Playback with an aux input for my iPod -ability to shift the auto transmission manually...better acceleration -fulltime AWD

Suggested Improvements

wish the aero crossbars were standard on the basic model

Big Bang for my Buck
By Craig

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really don't know what is basic about my BASIC WAGON because it's got all I need and more. This 2007 is a great deal. So far, with routine driving I am getting a solid 24 MPG! I am 5-9" with plenty of room for me and my family of 4. Easy hook-ups for my 2 year old's carseat, and my 15 year old daughter loves it, even though it a wagon. I am so happy with this buy. Safe, fun, loaded by my standards. I have the auto and love that sport shift for the curves. Good stereo for a basic feature too. It's early in the game, but I really think this car is a GREAT deal for the money. With rebate I paid $21,787. The steel 16" wheels are fine by me. Car feels and runs solid like my Toyota always did!

Favorite Features

Steering wheel, dash layout & color, ride, roadster doors, handling, MPG, looks, safety, price, comfortable ride. I can't wait for SNOW. I drive in WV up and down hills all day. Fog lamps. 175 HP is plenty enough for me and my family.

Suggested Improvements

Well, if there is one thing, I would try to reduce the road noise a bit, but it's what I expected. If you are tall, about 6', this might not be big enough for you. Seriously, I can't think of anything else. I just hope it's as reliable as they rate them.

New 2007 outback
By traci

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for all of 24hrs and LOVE IT! It's a basic 2007 Outback wagon with manual trans. It's only got 80 miles on it for the drive home. Drive home is a curvy road with lots of hilly areas. Handles awesome and climbs the hills like they're not there. Bought it to replace my 2000 Legacy wagon with nearly 100,000 miles on it. I highly recommend this car!

Favorite Features

No extras on this car. Simple, like I prefer it. The more extras you have the more things there are with potential to break.

Suggested Improvements

None as of yet.