Used 2007 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Seriously reconsidering buying another Subaru
By bigoske

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A little history, may family has owned Subarus since the 1980s and absolutely love them. Bought this 07 Outback in 2010 with 100K miles. Ran like a top for a year with just the basic maintenance, oil changes, etc. Timing belt needed to be replaced, which was expected. Then we've had problems ever since. Had to replace the Head gaskets, leaking on the coolant side, which blew a hole in radiator, fixed that. Then the car wouldn't start intermittently, turned out to be a bad O-ring on the fuel pump. Had to replace all struts as tires wore at an angle. changed O2 sensors, catalytic converter still needs to be replaced, CEL still on. Extremely Disappointed with Subarus reliabilty on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, great in the snow (with the proper tires). Other than that very little.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Pump O-rings Struts O2 sensors Front Catalytic Converter Radiator and hoses Head Gaskets Exhaust Tail pipe Brake lines (recalled) Radio Antenna

Nothing but trouble
By sstteevvee

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a number of cars in my life, unfortunately this is easily the worst. Before 85,000 miles, this Outback has had the classic blown head gasket($2000+), catalytic converter gone bad($1000+), velocity joint boot/control arm/strut problem that ruined four tires. The car is just poorly designed. It's noisy, has uncomfortable seats(poor thigh support outside of drivers seat) and a terrible design of the cargo roof rails that doesn't allow for a secure attachment of crossbars or a wide spread of the cross bars.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. All wheel drive, but gas mileage does suffer.

Suggested Improvements

A new engineering department would be a start!

Can't wait until my family gets rid of it.
By evanlloyd321

2007 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2007 Subaru Outback wagonis not the smartest option for a Family with 2 kids and a dog, let alone anyone. I am 19, the oldest child of my family. My dad is a car enthusiast who loves wagons, just because that's his thing. In 2007 he decided to buy the L.L. Bean edition, AWD, 3.0L V6 Outback for $28,000. And now it is the car I use at college. I average 17.4 MPG for a tiny Wagon. Anyone can find a vehicle that has more space, better gas milage. I mind as well be driving a Full size SUV or Truck. **A car I am considering is the 2014 Dodge Durango RWD V6, due to better everything than this piece of junk sitting in my college parking deck. Suggestion: Don't buy it!

Favorite Features

There are none, except The styling isn't terrible.

Suggested Improvements

-More leg room all around -More head room -More Cup-holders -2WD option -Much better gas mileage -More comfortable ride

The quality and love are gone!
By bobg04

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I previously owned a '97 Outback, so when I got a deal on the '07 I was excited at first. I liked the high ground clearance, more horsepower, larger fuel tank, and roomy interior. Then I noticed the still weak fuel efficiency, cheap knobs, cheap and hard to clean interior fabric, and door windows that catch (like my '97). This was nothing when my head gasket went at 97.5 k miles, like my '97 head gasket that went at 105 k. Subaru said they fixed this, but too many others have had the same problem. It's inexcuseable. I think Subaru have lost their quality, and owe all of us the cost of the repair for their poor design. Next time I'm looking for another brand of car.

Favorite Features

The all-wheel drive in a small sized vehicle, which can be found in other vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Learn how to make a head gasket! Use quality materials for the interior - you charge enough for the cars to afford it!

Don't see the quality
By stevenm5

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am writing this for my sister, because I end up dealing with her problems and doing all the maintenance. She bought it new, the windshield leaked, and leaked and leaked, five trips to the dealer before it stopped. The wiper motor, two on the front, one rear, under warranty, but still. Leaked oil out of the sending unit, the valve cover gaskets, the drain plug, separate incidents. Chews through tires, 25-30K Bridgestones, not expensive tires, but not cheap either. Wheel bearings: at 100,000 miles she has had to do all four, the first ones at 50,000 miles. Now the head gaskets are leaking. This car is history, If she buys another one, she's on her own.

Favorite Features

Good in snow, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Worse than average reliability for a Japanese car. Poor fuel economy: 22-25, that's really poor milage for a non-turbo four cylinder. The same year Ford Escape AWD with six gets better economy. Cheap fabric interior, stains too easily. Too cramped for big guys like me, definitely a ladies car.