Used 2007 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Rock Solid car with only few minor glitches
By Thomas Leahy

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned the 2.5 XT Limited 5 speed manual for 8 yrs ( bought it new ), currently has just under 120k miles. During that time I've driven it HARD, towed 1 ton of hay behind it for about 10 miles ( no kidding I really have towed a trailer with about 1 ton of hay on board. Yes, it was overloading the car a bit, but it handled it fine, keeping the speed down of course ). I take it on gravel roads on camping trips regularly. It's very solid on wet roads in driving rain in the Pacific Northwest. It's solid in snow too, although I had not the best snow tires on it ( Hankook snow tires from Les Schwab, they were not great, don't recommend them, still needed chains to get up hill to my house ) Had one problem a few years ago where car would not start if the engine was hot : you run into the store for an errand and come out after 10/15 mins and car won't start. Wait another 20 / 25 mins and it starts fine. Happened intermittently. Took dealership a long time to track it down. Finally we replaced some sensor on the engine, I forget which one, and the problem has never re-occured. My wife doesn't like driving the car as she finds the position of the pedals very cramped and it forces her foot to an awkward angle for the gas pedal. Also, the back seats are pretty cramped. It's not really an ideal car for young kids in car seats as we found out. Agree with another reviewer that the roof rails are not the easiest to adjust. Was just barely able to make it work with a 16 cubic feet Thule cargo box. The gearbox is certainly not "smooth" but you get used to it and it does the job. Was told by the dealership when we bought it that it has a tougher gearbox and clutch to support the bigger engine on this turbo model so maybe that's why it's not so smooth. But overall if you like to "drive", it's a fun car to drive. You can throw it around twisty country roads and it'll totally hold the road and go where you want it to go with no hesitation. Had a few minor repairs, mostly things like rubber boots on CV joints, mostly items I considered wear and tear from the way I drive it. Fuel efficiency is about what could be expected from a 2007 vintage AWD. Easily get 28mpg on a long highway trip and average 23mpg in mixed driving. I have been diligent in doing all factory recommended servicing right on schedule, not sure if that contributes to my good results, but it can't hurt anyway !

Wish I never bought you
By Carm

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I heard from so many people that I should buy a subaru because it's great in the snow. They were right about the car on the snow, but I have had nothing but problems with my subaru. If you can think of a million problems that could go wrong with this car, it's happened! I bought my car from a one owner driver at 60K miles and my problems began 4 months after I bought. It hasn't stopped, so it's time to trade it in! I think I've put 3000 dollars in the car and have owned it for less than 2 years.

Seriously reconsidering buying another Subaru
By bigoske

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i Basic 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A little history, may family has owned Subarus since the 1980s and absolutely love them. Bought this 07 Outback in 2010 with 100K miles. Ran like a top for a year with just the basic maintenance, oil changes, etc. Timing belt needed to be replaced, which was expected. Then we've had problems ever since. Had to replace the Head gaskets, leaking on the coolant side, which blew a hole in radiator, fixed that. Then the car wouldn't start intermittently, turned out to be a bad O-ring on the fuel pump. Had to replace all struts as tires wore at an angle. changed O2 sensors, catalytic converter still needs to be replaced, CEL still on. Extremely Disappointed with Subarus reliabilty on this vehicle.

Heated seats, great in the snow (with the proper tires). Other than that very little.

Fuel Pump O-rings Struts O2 sensors Front Catalytic Converter Radiator and hoses Head Gaskets Exhaust Tail pipe Brake lines (recalled) Radio Antenna

Nothing but trouble
By sstteevvee

2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a number of cars in my life, unfortunately this is easily the worst. Before 85,000 miles, this Outback has had the classic blown head gasket($2000+), catalytic converter gone bad($1000+), velocity joint boot/control arm/strut problem that ruined four tires. The car is just poorly designed. It's noisy, has uncomfortable seats(poor thigh support outside of drivers seat) and a terrible design of the cargo roof rails that doesn't allow for a secure attachment of crossbars or a wide spread of the cross bars.

Heated seats. All wheel drive, but gas mileage does suffer.

A new engineering department would be a start!

Can't wait until my family gets rid of it.
By evanlloyd321

2007 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 2007 Subaru Outback wagonis not the smartest option for a Family with 2 kids and a dog, let alone anyone. I am 19, the oldest child of my family. My dad is a car enthusiast who loves wagons, just because that's his thing. In 2007 he decided to buy the L.L. Bean edition, AWD, 3.0L V6 Outback for $28,000. And now it is the car I use at college. I average 17.4 MPG for a tiny Wagon. Anyone can find a vehicle that has more space, better gas milage. I mind as well be driving a Full size SUV or Truck. **A car I am considering is the 2014 Dodge Durango RWD V6, due to better everything than this piece of junk sitting in my college parking deck. Suggestion: Don't buy it!

There are none, except The styling isn't terrible.

-More leg room all around -More head room -More Cup-holders -2WD option -Much better gas mileage -More comfortable ride

• SUV