2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Why I Probably Won't Buy an Ou

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Why I Probably Won't Buy an Outback
By Lennie Blaumuehle on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Black Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The all-in-one control stalk for headlights, parklites, turn signals and high beams is a disaster. When reaching to lower high beams, it's very easy to turn off the headlights. It's happened to me numerous times and to others who have driven the car. It is in my opinion a serious design flaw. When I don't have access to a different vehicle for nite driving, I tape the headlight switch to on position. That aside, OB has met or exceeded all expectations. It stayed within a car length of a friend's manually shifted WRX thru the quarter mile. A little tuning since has made a huge improvement in power. OB has taken me places no other vehicle ever has.

AWD, Ground Clearance,Power, Ability to take me where I want to go, Shift Buttons on steering wheel much better than paddles

Entire headlight turn signal highbeam switch needs redesign. Better rear brakes would be useful for higher speeds tho current brakes adequate so far. Better sunroof privacy screen. Skidplates should be available at least as an option; aftermarket one I bought was unsatisfactory.