2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Surprisingly terrific

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

Surprisingly terrific
By abqdad on

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

For the last ten years I have driven a Lexus LS400 and my wife has driven a Mercedes E320. Both are just as excellent as they are reputed to be. When it came time to get a new car I looked carefully at all of the "usual suspects" (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura...). They are fine cars, but none were interesting enough to get me to prefer them to the Lexus with 150,000 miles. Until I looked at the Subaru Outback LL Bean. We've had it a month, and I am still extremely impressed with it in almost every way. Great job Subaru! My list was: "Safety, reliability, comfort, utility, value." I don't know of anything else within $10K that can touch the Subaru.

The H6 engine is terrific. That's saying A LOT after driving a perfect Lexus V8 for ten years! I thought it was impossible for a six to run as smooth and quiet and powerful as an eight. This one does. The AWD is seamless. Safety ratings are excellent, as are interior ergonomics and finishes.

Are you kidding me with that dome light!? Due to the very large sunroof, the dome light is so far back that you can't see to get in the front seats at night! Also, the rear doors have a nice "chunk" sound when closing, but the front doors sound weak. I checked other new Subs and they're the same.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review