2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Too small for a family car

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Too small for a family car
By DChes on

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased a 2006 LL Bean Wagon as our family car. Herein lies the problem; it seems to have been designed by people without kids. 1) The LATCH system is recessed so far in to the seat that is it very difficult to reach. 2) Rear facing car seats require that the front seat is forward to the point that my knees almost touch the dash (I an 5'11"). I drive a VW GTI and, because of its larger passenger compartment, we often take it on trips and leave the "family car" at home

This is a nice car for a family with kids either out of car seats or at least out of rear facing seats. The interior design and quality far surpasses it's peers Rear cargo space is great and well thought out. AWD (especially with snow tires) is fantastic.

Reliability; at 15,000 the car began to start with difficulty and was very rough. Fuel economy (poor to begin with) dropped as did performance. Our local dealership was great, but it spent over 30 days in the shop and required the regional tech spend 3 days tearing the car apart. Seems ok now.