2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Still getting acquainted with

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

Still getting acquainted with my Subie
By Andy on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to my outgoing 2004 Honda Accord EX, I've discovered the following about my new Outback: it has more tire and wind noise, pretty weak standard sound system, no standard moon roof and preferred the Honda's interior center stack. That said, I am benefiting from the AWD, standard side curtain airbags, more horsepower, power adjustable driver seat, heated rearview mirrors/windshield wiper wells. I am experiencing a tach surge (up to 2500 rpm) at idle when coasting. The stick shift gates are a bit of a struggle to find the proper gears. I really miss the front console ambient lighting in my old Honda. Inside dome light does not adequately illuminate the front seat area.

I love the AWD, interior and exterior styling! Nice auto dimming rear-view mirror. Love the confidence of great crash safety ratings & standard side curtain airbags.

I expected more standard stuff on a $25K vehicle. Hate the seatbelt reminder beeping! I have to slam the rear hatch door to close it securely. How about standard tilt AND telescoping steering wheel column, standard moonroof, better OE tires and quieter interior.