2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Solid Car

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

Solid Car
By matt on

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Subaru. It has a very solid feel to it, which I like. The interior is comfortable, and the sunroof is a thing of beauty. I love to bounce it around on rutted old roads while going fishing, and love how it handles in the snow and ice. I've always owned slightly larger cars, so it takes a bit of getting used to the size. The transmission is the only blemish I can mention. Going uphill it tends to never find its groove, keeps shifting up and down and up and down. Also it seems it takes the tranny a bit to warm up on cool mornings, it might try a clumsy double shift while accelerating out of the driveway.

Love that sunroof and all the cargo space. The car rides so solid on or off road, that I'm always pleased to ride it on rough roads and through construction sites.

The transmission I think is bad enough to make me wish I had bought an XT with a manual transmission. Frequently shifts at the wrong time, and doesn't react to throttle or hills in the predictable way that other cars I've owned have.