2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Nice Car!

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Review

Nice Car!
By sasquatch on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first Subaru since my 85 GL Wagon. It came down to a choice between the Sube and a Honda CR-V EX AWD. I chose the Sube because of its superior AWD system and better towing capacity, while the Honda had an advantage in interior space. So far, after 3000 miles but no winter driving, I'm pleased. I'm averaging 25-26 mpg. I get 30 mpg on the highway at 65 with the A/C on, or at 70 with it off; mileage decreases to about 26 at 80 mph. Trip computer mileage estimate is optimistic by about 2 mpg. Plenty peppy with manual transmission, but revs are high - almost 2700 rpm at 60 mph. I just hope that Subaru hasn't strayed too far from its roots - who really needs expensive 55-series tires?

Big sunroof, smooth shifter, nice driving position, nice exterior styling. Good build quality - no problems so far. Unlike some other folks who posted here, I find that pedal spacing is okay for my size 13s.

Better leg and foot space in the back. Daytime driving lights, without an auto headlight setting, are dangerous - can fool you into not turning on your lights at night. I would prefer the stereo to be a simple slide-in, rather than integrated into the dash, for cheaper replacement when it dies.