2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: It's like a cockroach - it's a

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

It's like a cockroach - it's almost indestructible
By sherry32 on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Outback Wagon has over 132,000 miles on it, and has been completely trouble free for 7 years. It drives no differently than it did when it was new. I'd actually kind of like a new car, but it's hard to justify the expense when this one is paid for and is so reliable.

This car is the poster child for reliability. Back in the day when it was still under warranty, the thermostat had to be replaced, and a rear power window needed repair. The belt for the power steering wore out around 100,000 miles. Other than that, I've done nothing but routine maintenance, and have had no problems with this car. It doesn't know the meaning of the word "drama". I turn the key, it starts, and it just goes. It's terrific in snow and rain, consistently gets 26 mpg or better, and is not fazed by tough mountain roads in the winter. It's sporty and fun to drive. And it's amazing how much stuff you can fit in an Outback, even with a large dog riding shotgun!

The main complaint that I have with my Subaru is that it is uncomfortable on long trips. It's unpleasant to drive for more than a couple of hours. I bought the most basic, stripped down model available, and in retrospect wish that I had chosen a model with a few creature comforts.