Good Car For The Money
By Ben on
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
This has been a good car, but I have one issue with regard to the all wheel drive. When turning into an intersection from a stop on fresh snow, the rear wheels will kick in with too much power resulting in the rear end sliding sideways. The dealer says I am applying too much gas, but Consumer Reports experts agree w/ me on this issue. Also, the passing gear hesitates 2 or 3 seconds before activating. The inside use of cloth in some of the places that get dirtiest...visors, inside door walls behind the arm rests, etc. should be something washable. Also the light interior colors are impossible clean, especially the carpets and cloth seats. Opt for a darker colors unless pet hair is an issue.
Favorite Features
This car is just a pleasure to own and drive. Plan on about 27 MPG for combined driving. For the most part, it is a well constructed car with comfortable seats and well designed gauges and controls. I am really very happy with this car.
Suggested Improvements
Should have a compass as standard equipment. Rear wheels need to kick in with a little less force on slippery roads. Passing gear should activate almost immediately (there is a 2 or 3 second pause). Certain areas that get dirtiest should be made of something more washable than fabric.