2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Good All Purpose Vehicle

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Good All Purpose Vehicle
By Desert Rat on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First Subaru. Good leg room for the driver with an automatic. Tight foot space with the manual transmission. Small feet are a good thing if you want the manual. There is less legroom on the passenger side which is something that I hadn't realized till after purchase. Check it out if the passenger is tall. Seats are very firm and take some getting use to. My wife preferred the Outback to the Forester so we got the Outback. Interior controls are typical of Honda and Toyota and well laid out. Controls are convenient. Back seat leg room is tight -- acceptable for short trips. Ride is comfortable on most surfaces. My driving in more higway than city: mpg is about 24-25 of the first 1200 miles.

Favorite Features

Visibility, perception of quality - seems well put together with good quality materials. Versatility - lots of accessories available. Green exterior - different from most other cars. Quiet. Probably seats after I get used to them. Fuel economy (based on fuel purchased and miles). Good turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for passengers. More power - direct injection. Better stereo system. Tires - I have read lots of complaints about the RE 92 but can not yet confirm. Lack of replacement tire choices. Stability Control should be available for base models.