2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Awesome Tank

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Awesome Tank
By JMD94 on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback for a month now, 1000 miles. We have the 2.5i auto with Navigation. Vehicle feels very solid and confident on the road, feels as safe as a tank, but has a surprisingly smooth ride. You won't win any drag races with this car, but it has plenty of power for normal highway/city driving. I'm averaging 26 mpg in mixed driving, not bad for 1000 miles. I never thought that I could be happy with this type of vehicle, but I am. Has a unique feel behind the wheel, you sort of feel like you're in a SUV, without being as high up. Before you shell out big bucks for a 4Runner or Explorer, drive an Outback, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Navigation system is cool, but takes a while to figure out. The guy has a slight Australian accent. I love how it feels on the road. Smooth, easy to drive, but has the solid, safe feeling of a tank. Car has amazing traction, no snow yet but drove through a huge rainstorm, it was awesome.

Some interior materials on the console feel kind of cheap. Sunvisor is too thick for a garage door opener.