2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: As Advertised--But With Minor

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Limited Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic)

As Advertised--But With Minor Annoyances
By VERY selective buyer on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Handling, safety and stability are all as advertised. I waited until I had driven this car on unplowed back roads in a New England snowstorm to post this review, and I must say the car handled extremely confidently in conditions that I otherwise would have shied from in previous vehicles. There is a feeling of solidity while still retaining an edge of sportiness with this sedan, and because there are relatively few 4-door Outbacks out there, it is a unique driving experience. Although I would recommend this car, please be aware it is not without some mind-boggling minor design flaws that make one wonder what some of the engineers were thinking when they put the finishing touches on this baby.

Favorite Features

Raised platform of frame with nice, high ground clearance; surprisingly quick acceleration; confident all-weather muscle; very comfortable heated seats; a unique, stylish look that is not present on the wagon version of this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Trip odometer failed to work from the moment driven off the lot; highly annoying seatbelt "reminder" chime; poor ergonomics (awkward cupholder & stereo controls; my foot scrapes housing above brake pedal); borderline-useful computerized "features" that seem bound to cause headaches as vehicle ages.