2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
First Subaru former Toyota owner
By marcob68 on 01/13/06 11:17 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great handling, mileage now averaging 27.6 mix of mostly highway and 10% city. Interior finish is excellent and everything works the way it should. Acceleration without turbo is very good and no problems cruising at 75. Radio and CD changer sound quality are very good. Much tighter handling than prior Toyotas.

Best Wagon on the Market
By KCDriver on 01/10/06 16:19 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Black Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After test driving just about every wagon made and a lot of SUVs and sedans, I came to the conclusion that the Outback XT is the best all-around wagon (and perhaps car) on the market. Turbo is peppy with only slight turbo lag; the 5 speed is a must-have for anyone who enjoys driving and reduces the turbo lag a lot. Interior fit and finish is great; nothing comes close unless you're willing to pay another $10K. I haven't needed the AWD yet, but trust Subaru's reputation and rally experience is worth something. Unfortunately, I had a freakish power- steering pump failure at 600 mile odometer reading (high-pitched squeal from the bearing). Dealer was great fixing it quickly under warranty.

As Advertised--But With Minor Annoyances
By VERY selective buyer on 01/07/06 19:36 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Handling, safety and stability are all as advertised. I waited until I had driven this car on unplowed back roads in a New England snowstorm to post this review, and I must say the car handled extremely confidently in conditions that I otherwise would have shied from in previous vehicles. There is a feeling of solidity while still retaining an edge of sportiness with this sedan, and because there are relatively few 4-door Outbacks out there, it is a unique driving experience. Although I would recommend this car, please be aware it is not without some mind-boggling minor design flaws that make one wonder what some of the engineers were thinking when they put the finishing touches on this baby.

Very nice car
By Tscheid52 on 01/02/06 10:13 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My GMC Jimmy was coming off lease and I was forced to look for something else. I wanted four wheel drive to deal with the winter weather conditions of the Northeast. However, I was getting tired of paying for the poor gas economy of a mid size SUV. The Outback fit the bill perfectly. This is a very nice vehicle. It is well made inside and out. It drives very much like the 1984 Toyota Supra I owned for ten years. The 6 cylinder boxer is very smooth and powerful. Plenty of passing power, very stable and nimble in the turns. It is very easy to build up speed without noticing it. Good braking. All this and 4 wheel too. Buy it!

Good All Purpose Vehicle
By Desert Rat on 12/29/05 15:38 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First Subaru. Good leg room for the driver with an automatic. Tight foot space with the manual transmission. Small feet are a good thing if you want the manual. There is less legroom on the passenger side which is something that I hadn't realized till after purchase. Check it out if the passenger is tall. Seats are very firm and take some getting use to. My wife preferred the Outback to the Forester so we got the Outback. Interior controls are typical of Honda and Toyota and well laid out. Controls are convenient. Back seat leg room is tight -- acceptable for short trips. Ride is comfortable on most surfaces. My driving in more higway than city: mpg is about 24-25 of the first 1200 miles.

Refined vehicle
By Nate on 12/17/05 18:59 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Definitely a step up from the previous generation Outbacks, a lot of thought went into improving the interior design and materials. The H6 pulls nicely, very smooth motor. Would like to see better fuel economy, a mix of hwy/city is giving between 18-20.

Snow King Subaru
By Denny on 12/17/05 13:42 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Took this Subaru hunting season in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where I live; the 2nd day our tent nearly collapsed due to 14" of heavy wet snow that fell while we were sleeping. We were 1/4 mile off the main road, had to cut trees off the road to clear the way. Drove the Subaru out breaking trail through 14" of heavy wet greasy snow and it never faltered or had any traction problems ... used to 4 wheel drive trucks and this was a wonderful surprise to me. Traction was great in a worst case scenario.

My 5th and Best Subaru
By Poohbaru on 12/16/05 10:15 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 5 Subarus now starting in 1984, progressed from GL Wagons with 4WD to LL Bean Wagons with AWD. They are the most reliable well built cars I have ever dealt with. I have friends with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, just name it. The LL Bean in my book surpasses them all.

New Favorite
By Chase on 12/15/05 00:13 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD w/NAVI (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned 2 Audi's. Would probably never buy another one. Just as good a car, if not better, for $15K less.

Solid Car
By matt on 12/11/05 23:45 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Subaru. It has a very solid feel to it, which I like. The interior is comfortable, and the sunroof is a thing of beauty. I love to bounce it around on rutted old roads while going fishing, and love how it handles in the snow and ice. I've always owned slightly larger cars, so it takes a bit of getting used to the size. The transmission is the only blemish I can mention. Going uphill it tends to never find its groove, keeps shifting up and down and up and down. Also it seems it takes the tranny a bit to warm up on cool mornings, it might try a clumsy double shift while accelerating out of the driveway.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.