2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
This is an Outback?
By Liz on 06/03/06 07:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This vehicle is fantastic! With 250 HP and 250 ft. lbs. of torque, it's got guts galore. And I was amazed that an Outback could handle this well. With its higher center of gravity, I simply wasn't expecting handling this taut. It's a sports car--with room to haul all your stuff safely on snow-covered highways or backwoods roads. The 5 speed manual, especially with the optional short-throw shifter, just adds to the sports car feel. It's the perfect combination of sportiness and utility. It's just plain fun to drive!

Love this car!
By honhi96825 on 06/02/06 10:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 1999 Forester for this car and I love it! I looked at the 2006 Foresters and found the seats to be too uncomfortable. This Outback is much more comfortable, with better features (side curtain airbags, dual A/C control) than the LL Bean Forester. The clutch and shifting is much smoother than my 1999 car. Having power in the armrest allows me to use my iPod my more than ever before (I keep the adapter plugged in all the time). Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

A Great "Hybrid"
By Terrain.org on 05/30/06 20:43 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Ivory Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Subaru Outback XT Limited is a great "hybrid" between a true SUV and a performance sedan, with the functionality of a wagon, stability of an all-wheel drive, and get-up-and-go of a sports sedan. I'm a tall driver (6'5") and have no problems in the front or (for shorter durations) in the rear. The Subaru is great fun to drive---the 5-speed tranny (added short-throw shifter) mated with the turbo is almost too fun! Leather interior and panoramic moonroof are great for me and my kids. The 8.7" ground clearance is great for chunky dirt roads (but not bouldering, of course), and the low-mounted boxer engine makes twisty roads good fun, as well. While a "hybrid," there's no compromise!

Nice Alternative to An SUV
By Ram on 05/20/06 05:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased an Outback Limited and have been pleasantly surprised. We also own a Pilot, but with the manual transmission, leather, and huge sunroof, I look forward to driving. The fuel economy averages 26 in the city and about 29-30 on the highway. I've gotten as high as 31 but it's dependent on how you drive. Also, there's plenty of room in the back seat for rear facing car seats (only two can be installed) or for passengers. Leg room is excellent. The handling is great for any car, not to mention an SUV.

Best of all worlds
By Bruce on 05/17/06 03:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Of all the the new cars/suvs I've owned, this one's the best so far. I wanted good gas mileage, decent performance, good handling, safe, full time all wheel drive, decent ground clearance, room to carry, comfort and this car has got it all. I got the base engine and it's been a solid performer. Only once trying to pass going UP a hill did I notice less power available to me. I'm getting 24.3 MPH in mixed driving with lots of hills. The one car I've never regretted buying for any reason. Get the leather seats. :-) Can't think of one complaint yet.

great car
By Rich Clarke on 04/29/06 13:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

A great, stylish, very comfortable and well-built car; drove cross country (NYC to WA) in third week of owning and car drove great. Now have 3800 miles and averaging 27 mpg in mixed highway / rural. Couldn't be happier with it. Considered Toyota Highlander Hybrid but couldn't justify price; also considered Honda CRV SE but didn't want Honda's usual road noise and CRV not nearly as stylish or comfortable as Outback. I highly recommend the Outback.

1st Suby
By MC5 on 04/26/06 12:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am very happy about my recent Subaru purchase. The car rides great and has good power for a 4 cylinder. I'm transitioning from a GMC Yukon and I love the maneuverability of this car. Good ground clearance and AWD means I won't have to chain up often when I head up to the mountains.

Subaru's a Best Bet
By Eric on 04/17/06 09:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Ivory Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I owned a first generation '96 Outback and had a bunch of problems. This is not that car. This car rides much better and is far more upscale. I replaced our '98 Volvo and could not be happier. This provides the versatility and safety I had with a Volvo at a much better price and much sportier package. It is a rocket off the line (be sure to go with the turbo if you want performance). It also rides like a regular car but with enough clearance that we can comfortably go into the mountains and tackle 4-6" of new powder on the back roads. If you need a wagon, but don't want to give up performance, go with this vehicle.

Still getting acquainted with my Subie
By Andy on 04/14/06 22:47 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to my outgoing 2004 Honda Accord EX, I've discovered the following about my new Outback: it has more tire and wind noise, pretty weak standard sound system, no standard moon roof and preferred the Honda's interior center stack. That said, I am benefiting from the AWD, standard side curtain airbags, more horsepower, power adjustable driver seat, heated rearview mirrors/windshield wiper wells. I am experiencing a tach surge (up to 2500 rpm) at idle when coasting. The stick shift gates are a bit of a struggle to find the proper gears. I really miss the front console ambient lighting in my old Honda. Inside dome light does not adequately illuminate the front seat area.

Great Vehicle
By efinkens on 04/10/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the LL Bean with the 6 cylinder. Not cheap but when I considered that I will burn 300 gallons less per year, the choice was easier. Nice ride, peppy motor and the stereo is great. The sunroof is the coolest on the market. I have no problem throwing the dog and decoys in the back for some hunting or showing up at a business meeting. Great vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.