Used 2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Fun to Drive!
By dg

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Easily the most fun and capable car that I have ever owned. The fuel efficiency is amazing and the size works great for surfing, snowboarding, etc. I definitely recommend this car!

Tons of cool gadgets and extras in the most basic model. The all wheel drive is a huge asset.

Very minor issues with interior, but I bought mine used.

We don't need no stinkin' turbo!
By Lynne

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 2000 Limited Wagon. Had no trouble at all with it, except the automatic transmission never seemed to downshift when I thought it should. Now have the 2006 Outback wagon, and love the redesign both inside and out. Have 5 speed manual transmission in this car and love it. If you know how to drive a manual transmission, get it in this car as you can do way better than the 0 - 60 on the automatic transmission. This car is lots of fun to drive, and hugs the road even though it sits rather high up. I feel very safe in it in all weather. I get approx 27 mpg combined in this car with normal driving, but it can really move with the 5 speed manual if you need it to.

5 speed manual, hugs the road, great combination of fun to drive and practicality, can't beat it for the money.

Bring back the weather band radio, get rid of the annoying seat belt chime, rear gate board rattles in everyday driving, a six speed manual would be nice. Otherwise love the car!

Practical
By Ann

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really like this car. I bought it because the price compared to other similar AWD vehicles was the lowest by far. I needed something that gets around well on snow and that my dog can be comfortable riding in. I have the green color but the interior only came in ivory cloth and when I get in my car after working out I leave sweat marks! The car doesn't get around in the snow as well as my 1999 CR-V but it still gets around. I find the delay in accelerating to pass annoying but not a fatal flaw. The get-up-and-go is the best of any 4 cylinder I've owned - even my husband commented. The seats are comfortable but really low to the ground. I needed a practical car and this is it.

Looks, AWD, fold down back seats which makes a large cargo area, side impact air curtains, ABS and heated seats. I'm getting about 25-26 MPG combined driving.

Darker fabric seat options, stability control, full size spare and figure out a way to raise the seats. My left knee is practically up by my chin when driving. Passenger side is even worse.

Liked my old one better
By Nancy

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Outback is the second one that I have purchased. I bought it sight unseen based upon my satisfaction with my 2000 Outback. My 2000 & I were in a near fatal road rage accident where I was forced off the road & hit a telephone pole head on at 50 MPH. I survived with very minor injuries but alas, the car did not. I really loved my 2000 Outback. I can't say the same about my 2006. As soon as I sat in it,I knew it was not the same vehicle. The seats were less comfortable, acceleration was not as good, the side view mirrors have huge blindspots due to the redesign. The windows whistle, The body is less sturdy, the glove box too small,cheap cup holders, donut tire, basically made cheaper.

Go back to making a quality vehicle with acceleration, body integrity, & better comfort

Excellent car
By D.B. Cameron

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru. The first (1985) lasted 10 years (in Ohio salt country); the second, 11 years (Ohio - > California); the third is just 1.5 years old and doing very well. Almost no post purchase fix ups. Very reliable. Decent fuel mileage (26-27), Really fine road handling (I used to have sports cars), great "mudder" (I live in the mountains and ski a fair amount). Good night road view. Only irritating problem is that, compared with my old Legacy, it is larger on the outside and smaller on the inside; strange engineering. So far, at least, it looks like another 10 or 12 year investment.

Road handling and fairly tight turning radius. Good outside view and mirror placement for this 5 foot 6 inch person.

More space inside and more small nooks to store things.

• SUV