Used 2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

The answer to all problems: Outback
By mike

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 outback is my 3rd vehicle. They say 3rd time is a charm. I am a former pickup truck lover that hated the gas mileage of trucks. I wanted AWD (better for dirt roads and bad weather), better fuel economy, better handling and reliability but also use for utility. The Outback covered all those grounds. 26-31 mpg on highway. Yes, folks I hit 31 mpg on highways of Montana and Maine. Excellent on dirt roads and deep snow. Handles better than my dad's '04 Acura TL. Performance rocks... beats both my old 6 cylinder trucks. Not bad for a base 4 cyl. Only complaints is that the oil filter is surrounded by exhaust piping, so it is a pain to remove, and tranny upshifts to early.

Favorite Features

Performance, sport car like handling, utility use (has hidden compartments, power driver seat and heat warmers standard! Over 28 mpg on highway under the optimal conditions. Excels on dirt roads. It's a trail runner.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate oil filter away from hot exhaust pipes, literally an inch from pipes. Stay away from stock Bridgestone Potenza tires, bad in bad weather. This is for winter outdoor peeps: DO NOT drive Outback (w/o chains or snow tires) through deep slushy snow. You will get stuck.

Love my car
By becs

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru. I love it. It handles like a dream. I have a 140 miles round trip commute everyday so I went for the automatic this time. Makes a big difference when stuck in traffic. I get fantastic mileage. 30 on the highway and around 26 about town. It's my favorite car I've owned so far - even got my favorite color this time - green. The interior is comfortable (leather) and easy to clean. And I've got a 10yr old boy so I've cleaned that back sit a number of times - grin. The safety features are great. I do have to agree with another reviewer that the headrests are a bit in the way of the rear view sometimes, but I've learned to adjust how I look back now. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Driving it. Side curtain air bags. Passenger front side weight turn off for air bag. Handling. Gas mileage. Design/looks inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Headrests are a bit tall and do block the rear view a bit. Automatic a bit sluggish on highway merging. Quicker acceleration would be very nice.

Makes driving fun again
By LDH

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove this vehicle about 6-8 times comparing it to Audi, Lexus, Toyota, Acura, Nissan, BMW and each time the handling and "feel good" factor made the Outback the superior choice for me. My wife and I travel to the mountain states each year and can't wait to get into the Outback and put it through mountain roads at a good pace. We also have a Lexus RX 350 and we both barter to use the Subaru each week. If there is a hint of rain or severe weather, the Subaru is the automatic choice. Acceleration and the combined handling with the fuel economy is propelling this vehicle to compete with "all time favorite vehicle owned" for our house. A smart choice.

Favorite Features

The handling of the vehicle blows me away every time I put it through its paces. It is like owning a sports car in sheep's clothing. If you aren't smiling when accelerating with this car you aren't driving.

Suggested Improvements

Storage room in the front seat is an issue when you are used to having space for keys, change, or other "stuff" you carry around. A larger glove box would help with this.

My Subaru
By Ron Scopa

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Subaru. Both were purchased new. I am reasonably pleased with the vehicle. I think, however, that a 4-cylinder engine such as the 2.5l in my car should be a bit better in fuel economy 24.5 mpg average. On the highway, the figure is approx. 27.5 mpg, at 60 mph. In city driving the economy is approx. 17 mpg. The car is fairly well built. The interior comfort is acceptable. The car is quiet, holds the road nicely at high speeds and runs smooth. The acceleration is not bad for a four-cylinder. Overall, one of the best cars I ever owned.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, cockpit design, quality of factory materials. Climate controls.

Suggested Improvements

Improve mileage. Develop a hybrid version.

Fun to Drive!
By dg

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Easily the most fun and capable car that I have ever owned. The fuel efficiency is amazing and the size works great for surfing, snowboarding, etc. I definitely recommend this car!

Favorite Features

Tons of cool gadgets and extras in the most basic model. The all wheel drive is a huge asset.

Suggested Improvements

Very minor issues with interior, but I bought mine used.