2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: 6 Month Review

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

6 Month Review
By JM94 on

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed my "tank" at 1000 miles, now a follow up. 2.5i Nav. now 6700 miles. I average 23-25 mpg mixed, no problems so far. Has enough power for day to day, not a speedster. Ride is smooth, car has been very reliable. Great cargo room w/ seats down, enough for a 40 inch tv and stand. Took it out in the snow today. It handles well, great traction. It took hard acceleration and irresponsible turns to get it to fishtail, but it will. I floored it, jerked the wheel and found myself hitting a curb. The Outback was fine, but I think I broke the sidewalk. I did this in an empty parking lot, hey if you're going to drive in the snow, you have to know your vehicle. Confident, solid car, not sexy.

Favorite Features

AWD, best car ever in the rain, great in snow, navigation system is cool but tricky. Safety features are awesome. My insurance is very low; my agent said that Outback claims are very low.

Suggested Improvements

Stability control standard. Navigation system is tricky. I live outside of DC, while looking for a local carpet store, somehow the nav was trying to take me to Cleveland. Full size spare, no donuts! MP3 would be great.