2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Why I Probably Won't Buy an Outback
By Lennie Blaumuehle on 04/03/09 17:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Black Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The all-in-one control stalk for headlights, parklites, turn signals and high beams is a disaster. When reaching to lower high beams, it's very easy to turn off the headlights. It's happened to me numerous times and to others who have driven the car. It is in my opinion a serious design flaw. When I don't have access to a different vehicle for nite driving, I tape the headlight switch to on position. That aside, OB has met or exceeded all expectations. It stayed within a car length of a friend's manually shifted WRX thru the quarter mile. A little tuning since has made a huge improvement in power. OB has taken me places no other vehicle ever has.

Too small for a family car
By DChes on 01/07/09 06:00 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I purchased a 2006 LL Bean Wagon as our family car. Herein lies the problem; it seems to have been designed by people without kids. 1) The LATCH system is recessed so far in to the seat that is it very difficult to reach. 2) Rear facing car seats require that the front seat is forward to the point that my knees almost touch the dash (I an 5'11"). I drive a VW GTI and, because of its larger passenger compartment, we often take it on trips and leave the "family car" at home

2006 Subaru 2.5i Outback Automatic
By too_many_cars on 12/12/08 13:30 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2006 Outback 2.5i auto for over a year, and am generally satisfied. I commonly drive offroad and in heavy snow conditions, and the AWD performs well. The car has done well under some bad conditions, and the AWD system has probably kept me out of a few snowbanks due to bad driving. The car is super comfy, and with a Yakima roof rack, you can haul plenty of people and gear. My primary complaint is the shoddy fuel mileage. I average about 21 mpg, with MPG dipping into the 18 mpg range when driving in the mountains here in WV.

Problems
By blair on 10/03/08 17:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased 2006 Outback because of price and ride quality, also reliability. The transmission started slipping at about 5,000, dealership tested and it was normal, and kept driving. Shortly after, the air conditioning wasn't cooling very well. Dealership replaced the expansion valve... works fine. Wheel bearing had to be replaced at 15,000 miles last year. Then recently, the window switch had to be replaced. Lastly, the torque converter, which is part of the transmission is bad and new transmission probably will be needed. The car is in the shop. I have had the car in the shop on/off for about twenty business days and counting.

Fun
By P.Krezel on 09/24/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

I bought the Outback for our growing family and I’m impressed. Nice interior, big trunk and lot of storage. Outside sporty wagon with AWD – Do you need more - No. When I drive Subaru I have a lot of fun a specially when I’m using “sport” driving. I have always wondering what’s make Subaru Subaru – now I know.

The answer to all problems: Outback
By mike on 08/22/08 12:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 outback is my 3rd vehicle. They say 3rd time is a charm. I am a former pickup truck lover that hated the gas mileage of trucks. I wanted AWD (better for dirt roads and bad weather), better fuel economy, better handling and reliability but also use for utility. The Outback covered all those grounds. 26-31 mpg on highway. Yes, folks I hit 31 mpg on highways of Montana and Maine. Excellent on dirt roads and deep snow. Handles better than my dad's '04 Acura TL. Performance rocks... beats both my old 6 cylinder trucks. Not bad for a base 4 cyl. Only complaints is that the oil filter is surrounded by exhaust piping, so it is a pain to remove, and tranny upshifts to early.

Love my car
By becs on 08/14/08 07:45 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru. I love it. It handles like a dream. I have a 140 miles round trip commute everyday so I went for the automatic this time. Makes a big difference when stuck in traffic. I get fantastic mileage. 30 on the highway and around 26 about town. It's my favorite car I've owned so far - even got my favorite color this time - green. The interior is comfortable (leather) and easy to clean. And I've got a 10yr old boy so I've cleaned that back sit a number of times - grin. The safety features are great. I do have to agree with another reviewer that the headrests are a bit in the way of the rear view sometimes, but I've learned to adjust how I look back now. I love this car!

My Subaru
By Ron Scopa on 04/01/08 13:11 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Subaru. Both were purchased new. I am reasonably pleased with the vehicle. I think, however, that a 4-cylinder engine such as the 2.5l in my car should be a bit better in fuel economy 24.5 mpg average. On the highway, the figure is approx. 27.5 mpg, at 60 mph. In city driving the economy is approx. 17 mpg. The car is fairly well built. The interior comfort is acceptable. The car is quiet, holds the road nicely at high speeds and runs smooth. The acceleration is not bad for a four-cylinder. Overall, one of the best cars I ever owned.

Fun to Drive!
By dg on 03/05/08 23:56 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Easily the most fun and capable car that I have ever owned. The fuel efficiency is amazing and the size works great for surfing, snowboarding, etc. I definitely recommend this car!

We don't need no stinkin' turbo!
By Lynne on 12/25/07 10:03 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 2000 Limited Wagon. Had no trouble at all with it, except the automatic transmission never seemed to downshift when I thought it should. Now have the 2006 Outback wagon, and love the redesign both inside and out. Have 5 speed manual transmission in this car and love it. If you know how to drive a manual transmission, get it in this car as you can do way better than the 0 - 60 on the automatic transmission. This car is lots of fun to drive, and hugs the road even though it sits rather high up. I feel very safe in it in all weather. I get approx 27 mpg combined in this car with normal driving, but it can really move with the 5 speed manual if you need it to.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.