Used 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

cv caps
By sonic

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have never had a car with so many problems and it's not even paid off! My Mazda's and Camry's were great! I've had both cv caps leak (not at the same time, so it will cost more for repair), the cruise control turned off and the engine light went out in the middle of the desert. Problem was not cruise control! I sure do miss my Camry.

Easy access (for this type of vehicle) for Grandma. Easy back access for muddy dog. Tow package capability for bicycles. Feel comfortable off road in the desert.

Make an engine that will hold up until I finish my car payments!

Worst car I've ever owned!!
By Jen

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. NO steering control on snowy roads. Brakes smokes and won't respond in wet, snowy weather. Car stops for no reason in the middle of the road with no warning. Have to replace oil every time I stop for gas because it burns out completely. Had the engine almost seize because of this! DO NOT Buy!!!!!

NONE

Everything!

A home run...
By rwoavon

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this car to replace a 2000 Volvo x-Country wagon which fell apart at 59,000 miles. I bought the Subaru Outback because 1)it provided wagon- like features; 2) it was cheaper than a Volvo; 3) the 2.5 ltr. turbo flies. We are now at 45,000 miles and have been DELIGHTED with 1)it's reliability- never a problem; 2) the engine- wow, does this car move; 3) it's capabilities- all wheel drive makes this car indestructible on snow, ice and rain. Negatives- we wish the car was a wee bit larger. Also, lack of a telescoping steering wheel is annoying. We love this car but looked at the new and larger 2010 redesign. However, without a 2.5 liter turbo option, we prefer our car. Zoom Zoom!

Reliability is 100% The 2.5 liter turbo is like a sports car It navigates through all weather conditions It looks great in black Front seats are very comfortable for long trips

Telescoping steering wheel A bit larger on the inside More legroom in the rear.

Comfort, convenience, and safety
By Jerbear

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is our second Subaru. The first was a 1999 Forester. We bought this one because it had better ground clearance than the Forester, was more roomy and looked better. Ours is a stick shift which we like because of the better control and because we tow it behind our RV on trips. We average about 21 mpg in mixed driving and around 29 mpg on the highway. Love the car. No problems aside from an alignment problem when new which was taken car of by the dealer. Wife is an EMT and HAS to be able to get through...this does--and does it very smoothly! We'll get another in a couple of years as well.

Ability to tow it in neutral with no other requirements, excellent road feel and handling, heated seats, excellent visibility, headlights come on automatically, interior lighting, comfortable seats, fold flat rear seats, roof carrying capacity, great heater and air, security of safety features.

The stick shift is a little less smooth than some we've had. Seat belts don't always retract well, requiring manual help at times and Subaru windshield wipers don't clear windshield as well as replacements (Rain-ex).

2006 Subaru Outback not a hardy 4WD
By aurora

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Three big disappointments: 1. it is promoted as a 4 WD with high clearance. So you would think you could take it on a mountain road. Although it has high clearance there is no "low gear" so it doesn't have the umpf to make it up a steep hill (I do not mean extreme steep just a somewhat steep hill -- like to a trailhead). 2. I have owned this car for 3 years and I have had to replace two rear wheel bearings. A mechanic told me that when Subaru redesigned the Outback the rear wheel bearings weren't of the quality as the previous design. 3. We had absolutely no steering control on a powder snowy road last winter & crashed 5mph. I've never experienced anything like that in previous cars.