Used 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

2.5 Limited
By dsk

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First time Subaru buyer. I owned two Hondas and can't believe how much more I like my Outback. Great fit and finish. It feels like a luxury car inside. I am excited for some inclement weather as well. I will never buy another Honda again.

Sunroof is incredible. Leather seats are very comfortable. Aggressive styling. Overall feel of ride. 5 star safety rated.

The seatbelt alarm in annoying. The door remote is awkward to use. Should have satellite radio and steering wheel radio controls as well.

My first Subaru
By bassmohn

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm just one of those people who likes wagons, and need once a week extra room but don't need a typical sized SUV or a van for the rest of my driving. The Outback is pretty much a base model with a couple extra option packages, power seat, dimming mirror plus a host of standard equipment - certainly is a comfortable well designed car. Its ride is comfortable and fairly compliant. The base 4 cylinder isn't spectacular, but once up to freeway speeds is peppy. I'm averaging 27.9 mpg over the first 7,000 miles, 80% freeway and 20% city. I'd easily get over 30 on continuous 70+MPH drives. Great car so far.

Ride, comfort, excellent mileage for an all wheel drive car.

For what I paid, the interior is not quite up to a Jetta Wagon, for instance quality of materials, but it certainly doesn't look cheap or chintzy either. I probably would say to gear first gear with a little more pep off the line with an automatic...maybe the 5 speed automatic accomplishes this?

Good wagon, but not great
By andy

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Being a Honda man, I defaulted to a Subaru Outback wagon because the Accord isn't available in an AWD wagon; a manual transmission because of its slow 0-60 times. I have a few complaints: shifter is too far forward in relation to how I like to sit in the driver's seat, power windows go up and down too slowly, miss the power up feature in my old Accord, wind and tire noise, rear slides out when cornering, exterior panel gaps are too wide and are unsightly, balky and ambiguous manual gear shift pattern and feel of engagement, awkward clutch/gear engagement (compared to my old Accord), the lack of telescoping steering column, sub-par standard audio system/speakers and lack of standard sunroof.

Auto-dim rear view mirror, heated side mirrors, beige/sand interior color, availability of 5-speed manual transmission, standard roof rack, cargo space, interior and exterior styling, 17 inch wheels, heated windshield wipers and decent pricing.

More cup holders up front please, more horsepower to make up for its weight, standard moon roof, traction control and vehicle dynamics control system (as in the v-6 Accord), improve the speed of the power windows, add power up feature as well.

The PERFECT Car?
By Stephen

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 2nd Outback. My first was a '00 5 speed manual. When I was in the Pacific NW, that car was my weekend savior, irrespective of the weather. I loved it. Well I'm pleased to say the new Outback is better in every way. 1st-incredible power with the 2.5l turbo. 2nd, shifting/clutching dramatically improved. 3rd, interior build and design is outstanding. 4th, handling has improved. 5th, ride quality and comfort are also improved. This car will get you there in any weather, and you'll have a blast along the way. Suggested improvements: get rid of the plastic popit fasteners for engine cover and oil cover-they're too easily damaged on removal (I bugged the dealer to give me a dozen).

Turbo! Interior build. Drive and ride quality.

Ditch the plastic screws. Also, how about an aux-input for stereo?

Well worth the money
By foxvalues

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD w/NAVI (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent car, fun to drive, luxurious feel.

Interior is very nice; highway driving for the driver is a dream.

Front passenger's ride should be as nice as the driver's. Speed between 20- 40 mph needs enhancement.

• SUV