2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
A lot of research leads to the Subaru
By New England Driver on 11/09/05 15:37 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Having moved up to New England from DC two years ago, I wanted a car that was better suited to getting caught on the Mass. Pike in a snow storm or getting out of the drive way for a snack run without out first snowblowing on a Saturday morning. Safety was also critical. The 2006 bettered the side safety so now it's an IIHS best pick for front and side. Reliability was also key and consumers reports shows a good history. I also wanted fairly good mileage (coming from a Civic Hybrid) and usable backseat room for my gigantic Marathon car seat (this and the reliability concerns left over from our '02 VW Passat ruled out the Audi A4 even with the good lease deal). This car simply had it all.

Surprisingly terrific
By abqdad on 10/23/05 00:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

For the last ten years I have driven a Lexus LS400 and my wife has driven a Mercedes E320. Both are just as excellent as they are reputed to be. When it came time to get a new car I looked carefully at all of the "usual suspects" (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura...). They are fine cars, but none were interesting enough to get me to prefer them to the Lexus with 150,000 miles. Until I looked at the Subaru Outback LL Bean. We've had it a month, and I am still extremely impressed with it in almost every way. Great job Subaru! My list was: "Safety, reliability, comfort, utility, value." I don't know of anything else within $10K that can touch the Subaru.

Traded Envoy for Subi
By Troy on 10/19/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We traded in our '02 Envoy for an '06 Outback Limited and are very pleased so far. Living in Chicago, the 4 cylinder (manual) has more than enough power (this coming from someone who went from 275hp to 168hp). And while our Outback can't handle the same "load" quantity as the Envoy, it's more than enough for a family of 3 who packs "heavy" (I got an aerator in the back the other day). Looked at other "cross-over" vehicles, and Outback is the best (especially when you factor in price). So far gas mileage good, but not "rating" - more like 20 city, 26 highway (all around avg on Envoy about 15). A great car for someone looking for a replacement to their traditional SUV.

Only time I've bought a 3rd one.
By Jon C. on 10/16/05 14:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Compared to other SUV's I tried, this one is the only one that didn't handle like a truck (compared to Ford Explorer, Nissan Xterra, etc.) and didn't get buffeted around in the wind. This is the 3rd one I've owned and it is still the best snow car I've ever driven (I ski and regularly go into snow country). It also quite adequately tows my boat. My only gripe is that the current model's "sport automatic" drive is not as smooth as my last one (2002).

Sports Car in Disguise
By Big John on 10/03/05 13:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Ivory Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Subaru Outback XT Limited is a sports car masquerading as a family wagon. With the 250 hp turbocharged, intercooled 2.5 liter Boxer engine and 5 speed manual transmission, it is a car for people like me who like to drive. In spite of its high road clearance (about 8.5 inches) it corners very well, and few drivers will ever take this car to its limits of adhesion. Apart from the driveability, this model has a load of creature comforts, including heated seats and a nice stereo system.

Great car - great buy
By Kenneth on 09/25/05 12:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So far so great with the Outback. The ride is very smooth, stable and comfortable and has very good ground clearance. Actually fun to drive. Controls are well positioned and easy to use- as is the trunk\hatch. Great MPG - 1st check was a little under 27mpg (mostly highway but awesome for all-wheel drive!). Very peppy - don't bother with the bigger engine - the 2.5L does very good getting up on the highway. Great safety and reliability ratings to boot. Very happy we went with the Outback.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.