2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Dependable workhorse
By ctac on 08/23/10 21:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our family has been running this Outback for almost four years. We put a little over 50K miles on it, with probably 30K of daily commute and 10K of annual ski trips. Subarus are usually praised for their AWD, but in the first couple of winters I had some skidding incidents (shouldn't have pressed the gas pedal so carelessly on tight turns! This is a manual transmission car, so not all of the fancy electronic stabilization systems are available). Once that has been figured out, we found ourselves working as a snow taxi for our friends in a small Midwestern town. I was disappointed with the fuel economy at first (it was clearly below the nominal rating), but then it somehow got better.

We don't need no stinkin' turbo!
By Lynne on 12/25/07 10:03 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 2000 Limited Wagon. Had no trouble at all with it, except the automatic transmission never seemed to downshift when I thought it should. Now have the 2006 Outback wagon, and love the redesign both inside and out. Have 5 speed manual transmission in this car and love it. If you know how to drive a manual transmission, get it in this car as you can do way better than the 0 - 60 on the automatic transmission. This car is lots of fun to drive, and hugs the road even though it sits rather high up. I feel very safe in it in all weather. I get approx 27 mpg combined in this car with normal driving, but it can really move with the 5 speed manual if you need it to.

Excellent Vehicle
By JM94 on 08/17/06 04:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 92x for the 2.5I with Navigation; I've had it a few weeks and love it. Vehicle is very solid, absolutely hugs the road and rides much smoother than I expected. It feels safe as a tank, and already I'm getting 27-28 mpg on the highway. The navigation system is cool, the guy has a slight Australian accent. You won't win any drag races with this car, but it is more than adequate for every day life on the highway. I had a car with 227 hp before and found it was an utter waste; great I can floor it for 3 seconds before I have to stop again in traffic. Thinking of an SUV but worried about gas, check this car out, you won't be disappointed. You will save on insurance too, very low risk.

Nice Car!
By sasquatch on 06/25/06 12:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first Subaru since my 85 GL Wagon. It came down to a choice between the Sube and a Honda CR-V EX AWD. I chose the Sube because of its superior AWD system and better towing capacity, while the Honda had an advantage in interior space. So far, after 3000 miles but no winter driving, I'm pleased. I'm averaging 25-26 mpg. I get 30 mpg on the highway at 65 with the A/C on, or at 70 with it off; mileage decreases to about 26 at 80 mph. Trip computer mileage estimate is optimistic by about 2 mpg. Plenty peppy with manual transmission, but revs are high - almost 2700 rpm at 60 mph. I just hope that Subaru hasn't strayed too far from its roots - who really needs expensive 55-series tires?

Love this car!
By honhi96825 on 06/02/06 10:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 1999 Forester for this car and I love it! I looked at the 2006 Foresters and found the seats to be too uncomfortable. This Outback is much more comfortable, with better features (side curtain airbags, dual A/C control) than the LL Bean Forester. The clutch and shifting is much smoother than my 1999 car. Having power in the armrest allows me to use my iPod my more than ever before (I keep the adapter plugged in all the time). Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Nice Alternative to An SUV
By Ram on 05/20/06 05:13 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased an Outback Limited and have been pleasantly surprised. We also own a Pilot, but with the manual transmission, leather, and huge sunroof, I look forward to driving. The fuel economy averages 26 in the city and about 29-30 on the highway. I've gotten as high as 31 but it's dependent on how you drive. Also, there's plenty of room in the back seat for rear facing car seats (only two can be installed) or for passengers. Leg room is excellent. The handling is great for any car, not to mention an SUV.

1st Suby
By MC5 on 04/26/06 12:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am very happy about my recent Subaru purchase. The car rides great and has good power for a 4 cylinder. I'm transitioning from a GMC Yukon and I love the maneuverability of this car. Good ground clearance and AWD means I won't have to chain up often when I head up to the mountains.

216k no problems on Outback
By Mike on 01/28/06 09:46 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just traded in my 5 speed manual 2000 Outback. It had 216,000 miles on it. The only thing I did was change oil regularly, replace the clutch at 140,000 miles and a timing belt. Besides normal wear maintenance such as brakes. The car was never in the shop. The car easily had another 75,000 to 100,000 miles left but the dealer gave me an incredible trade-in offer. Now on my fourth Subaru.

Traded Envoy for Subi
By Troy on 10/19/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We traded in our '02 Envoy for an '06 Outback Limited and are very pleased so far. Living in Chicago, the 4 cylinder (manual) has more than enough power (this coming from someone who went from 275hp to 168hp). And while our Outback can't handle the same "load" quantity as the Envoy, it's more than enough for a family of 3 who packs "heavy" (I got an aerator in the back the other day). Looked at other "cross-over" vehicles, and Outback is the best (especially when you factor in price). So far gas mileage good, but not "rating" - more like 20 city, 26 highway (all around avg on Envoy about 15). A great car for someone looking for a replacement to their traditional SUV.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.