2006 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Sure-footed, but incredibly unreliable
By kbourdeau on 06/14/13 21:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '06 2.5i Ltd. (118,000 mi.) blew its head gaskets for the second time in less than 3 yrs. today. Replaced all 4 sets of wheel bearings at least once, broken front axle, wiring harness on back hatch, door handle, console cover broke off completely years ago, rear defrost never did work properly, etc. Never had a car in the shop as much as this one. Loved the traction - absolutely hated the total lack of quality in this vehicle. Not feeling the love... If you insist on a Subaru, but a model from '08 or newer - they are supposedly much more reliable.

It's like a cockroach - it's almost indestructible
By sherry32 on 01/23/13 18:29 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Outback Wagon has over 132,000 miles on it, and has been completely trouble free for 7 years. It drives no differently than it did when it was new. I'd actually kind of like a new car, but it's hard to justify the expense when this one is paid for and is so reliable.

Check Engine Light Horrors
By yifinguy on 01/15/13 12:21 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved my Roo until the Check Engine Light came on. First it was the O-2 sensors code that came up. After a $400 cost to replace those, then came a code indicating Random Misfire and I replaced the plugs, then came a P20296 code showing eventually that it needed a new computer which will cost over $600 for a 2nd hand one - almost $900 for a new one. You have to get it re-keyed with a new Electronic Control Module. Nickel and dime to death isn't the word for it! When those codes come up, you have no cruise either! All of this has happened within a few weeks.

Worry free vehicle
By dozer on 04/04/12 05:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Black Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 5spd OBXT Limited new back in '06. Have not had a single problem after 6 years and 53K miles. The car is bullet proof, both mechanically and cosmetically. Paint has held up extemely well, very chip resistant. As for traction, the car is unstoppable in snow. Two foot drifts barely register with the Subie's tenacious AWD and ample road clearance. If you live in or near a snow belt, these cars are at the very top of the food chain. Best part is performance. The XT has some STi DNA. It eats Audi A4's for lunch in the stoplight wars. Reliability, unflappable AWD, lightening quick w/turbo, sharp looking. Love it, love it, love it! I plan to hopefully ride it another 6 years.

Can't believe this is a Subaru
By srhorn77 on 10/13/11 16:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Outback used with 78K miles. After 800 miles of driving, the weather turned cold and the tranny started slamming from 3rd into 4th. I took it to the dealer and they recommended I replace the tranny for $3400. There's also a rubber/oil burning smell when driven long distances. The radio and drivers window randomly stop working and the entire lighter assembly pulled completely out when I tried to unplug my car charger. This car must have been built the Monday after Superbowl Sunday before coffee. I'm so disappointed in this car. Subaru is supposed to be so reliable but I can't wait to trade it. The good is it does great in the snow. I had a 2003 Impreza and loved it!

Dependable workhorse
By ctac on 08/23/10 21:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our family has been running this Outback for almost four years. We put a little over 50K miles on it, with probably 30K of daily commute and 10K of annual ski trips. Subarus are usually praised for their AWD, but in the first couple of winters I had some skidding incidents (shouldn't have pressed the gas pedal so carelessly on tight turns! This is a manual transmission car, so not all of the fancy electronic stabilization systems are available). Once that has been figured out, we found ourselves working as a snow taxi for our friends in a small Midwestern town. I was disappointed with the fuel economy at first (it was clearly below the nominal rating), but then it somehow got better.

Good to drive and reliable
By tljake on 08/22/10 14:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Subaru (first being a 1986 Brat). Have put over 50,000 on it in three years, have had absolutely no problems. This car has been through winter snow, off road in the high desert, city traffic, and has never failed to perform. It's not the flashiest car out there, nor the fastest, nor the one pulling the biggest load, but it will get you from point A to point B with minimum worry.

Check Engine Light For the LOSS
By Amy on 08/05/10 05:09 AM (PDT)

I purchased mine as a CPO. Within 2 months the drivers side window stopped going up and down, the sunroof refused to open, and the check engine light has come on 3 times. It has been the dealer 4 times in 2 months! I am BEYOND unhappy with the purchase! Subaru clearly also doesn't know how to fix the check engine light as the code is for an engine misfire cylinder 2 - we first were told to do the spark plugs, done, then when it went back they did the coil for just that cylinder, and now who knows what they will come up with. I can't rely on the car not to throw a code. Waste of money.

cv caps
By sonic on 05/04/10 22:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have never had a car with so many problems and it's not even paid off! My Mazda's and Camry's were great! I've had both cv caps leak (not at the same time, so it will cost more for repair), the cruise control turned off and the engine light went out in the middle of the desert. Problem was not cruise control! I sure do miss my Camry.

Worst car I've ever owned!!
By Jen on 02/17/10 07:46 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I've ever owned. NO steering control on snowy roads. Brakes smokes and won't respond in wet, snowy weather. Car stops for no reason in the middle of the road with no warning. Have to replace oil every time I stop for gas because it burns out completely. Had the engine almost seize because of this! DO NOT Buy!!!!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.