Used 2006 Subaru Outback Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Makes driving fun again
By LDH

2006 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove this vehicle about 6-8 times comparing it to Audi, Lexus, Toyota, Acura, Nissan, BMW and each time the handling and "feel good" factor made the Outback the superior choice for me. My wife and I travel to the mountain states each year and can't wait to get into the Outback and put it through mountain roads at a good pace. We also have a Lexus RX 350 and we both barter to use the Subaru each week. If there is a hint of rain or severe weather, the Subaru is the automatic choice. Acceleration and the combined handling with the fuel economy is propelling this vehicle to compete with "all time favorite vehicle owned" for our house. A smart choice.

Favorite Features

The handling of the vehicle blows me away every time I put it through its paces. It is like owning a sports car in sheep's clothing. If you aren't smiling when accelerating with this car you aren't driving.

Suggested Improvements

Storage room in the front seat is an issue when you are used to having space for keys, change, or other "stuff" you carry around. A larger glove box would help with this.

Powerful Ride, Great Handling
By Phipka

2006 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third new Subaru and there are noticeable improvements from model to model. The only real negative I see is a hesitation to accelerate. This is a real problem when coming onto a road past a blind curve or pulling onto a parkway with fast unforgiving traffic. Otherwise the car has amazing handling and is the best foul weather car I have ever driven in. It is a little closer to the ground than my 2000 Outback Limited offering excellent stability in the wind. I particularly liked the sport shift when I went over the 16% grade of the Sonora Pass in California this year - I really feel safe in this car under almost any condition. 19/25 mpg traffic/highway.

Favorite Features

Safety, handling, ergonomics - no slide rear cargo liner - beautiful exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Solve the acceleration lag - in any mode of driving - with this much power it should be immediately accessible.

As Advertised--But With Minor Annoyances
By VERY selective buyer

2006 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Handling, safety and stability are all as advertised. I waited until I had driven this car on unplowed back roads in a New England snowstorm to post this review, and I must say the car handled extremely confidently in conditions that I otherwise would have shied from in previous vehicles. There is a feeling of solidity while still retaining an edge of sportiness with this sedan, and because there are relatively few 4-door Outbacks out there, it is a unique driving experience. Although I would recommend this car, please be aware it is not without some mind-boggling minor design flaws that make one wonder what some of the engineers were thinking when they put the finishing touches on this baby.

Favorite Features

Raised platform of frame with nice, high ground clearance; surprisingly quick acceleration; confident all-weather muscle; very comfortable heated seats; a unique, stylish look that is not present on the wagon version of this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Trip odometer failed to work from the moment driven off the lot; highly annoying seatbelt "reminder" chime; poor ergonomics (awkward cupholder & stereo controls; my foot scrapes housing above brake pedal); borderline-useful computerized "features" that seem bound to cause headaches as vehicle ages.

New Favorite
By Chase

2006 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition 4dr Sedan AWD w/NAVI (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned 2 Audi's. Would probably never buy another one. Just as good a car, if not better, for $15K less.

Favorite Features

Like the ground clearance, windshield wiper de-icer, dark wheels (hide brake dust), standard all wheel drive (best and most reliable in the business), navigation, H6 3.0 motor, overall design and build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Satellite radio, heated steering wheel, vdc.

Sweet
By Big Purple

Having driven many of the Subaru wagons I thought I'd try this shorter version. Boy does it go. I think the AWD couple with the excellent handling will prove this model to be the best I have driven. Bring on the rain or snow.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats. Excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

Don't really need the LL Bean name.