2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Check Engine Light Horrors
By yifinguy on 01/15/13 12:21 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved my Roo until the Check Engine Light came on. First it was the O-2 sensors code that came up. After a $400 cost to replace those, then came a code indicating Random Misfire and I replaced the plugs, then came a P20296 code showing eventually that it needed a new computer which will cost over $600 for a 2nd hand one - almost $900 for a new one. You have to get it re-keyed with a new Electronic Control Module. Nickel and dime to death isn't the word for it! When those codes come up, you have no cruise either! All of this has happened within a few weeks.

2006 Subaru Outback not a hardy 4WD
By aurora on 08/30/09 18:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Three big disappointments: 1. it is promoted as a 4 WD with high clearance. So you would think you could take it on a mountain road. Although it has high clearance there is no "low gear" so it doesn't have the umpf to make it up a steep hill (I do not mean extreme steep just a somewhat steep hill -- like to a trailhead). 2. I have owned this car for 3 years and I have had to replace two rear wheel bearings. A mechanic told me that when Subaru redesigned the Outback the rear wheel bearings weren't of the quality as the previous design. 3. We had absolutely no steering control on a powder snowy road last winter & crashed 5mph. I've never experienced anything like that in previous cars.

Great wagon!
By Lou on 10/04/06 14:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our first Subaru and I'm happy we made the purchase. The turbo + AWD makes this a fun and spirited ride, particularly on wet on-ramps and on gravel roads. The leather seats are firm and comfortable for long trips, and the height off the road gives a good view to the surrounding traffic. The Subaru extended warranty was quite reasonable - as it should have been since the 3 yr/36,000 mile new vehicle warranty is inferior to most other manufacturers in this space. The handling is responsive, particularly when you realize how long and heavy this wagon is. The car is quiet -- both in the city and at highway speeds -- despite the large, open cabin. Fuel economy is reasonable, but low.

The PERFECT Car?
By Stephen on 08/02/06 06:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 2nd Outback. My first was a '00 5 speed manual. When I was in the Pacific NW, that car was my weekend savior, irrespective of the weather. I loved it. Well I'm pleased to say the new Outback is better in every way. 1st-incredible power with the 2.5l turbo. 2nd, shifting/clutching dramatically improved. 3rd, interior build and design is outstanding. 4th, handling has improved. 5th, ride quality and comfort are also improved. This car will get you there in any weather, and you'll have a blast along the way. Suggested improvements: get rid of the plastic popit fasteners for engine cover and oil cover-they're too easily damaged on removal (I bugged the dealer to give me a dozen).

This is an Outback?
By Liz on 06/03/06 07:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This vehicle is fantastic! With 250 HP and 250 ft. lbs. of torque, it's got guts galore. And I was amazed that an Outback could handle this well. With its higher center of gravity, I simply wasn't expecting handling this taut. It's a sports car--with room to haul all your stuff safely on snow-covered highways or backwoods roads. The 5 speed manual, especially with the optional short-throw shifter, just adds to the sports car feel. It's the perfect combination of sportiness and utility. It's just plain fun to drive!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.