Used 2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

A superior fast touring car
By Hans Harald

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Am 70 years old now, owned some very nice and powerful cars during my life, this one is the most satisfying of them all, by far, especially after replacing the OEM Yokohamas with Michelins (see below under "suggested improvements"), which actually make the car do what I am waxing about in this review!

Smooth, powerful 6 cylinder engine (no need for a fussy turbo!), solid handling; this is a safe car which will take you anywhere. Sterling reliability. Feel of heft and quality - feels strangely "un"-Japanese, more European. A true "Character-car"!

Rear seating a bit tight. Transmission shifts a bit fussy (benefits from some manual control - which actually may make the drive more interesting...). Definitely benefits from installation of some true premium performance tires (i.e. Michelin Pilot Sport AS plus).

Very nice car
By Tscheid52

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My GMC Jimmy was coming off lease and I was forced to look for something else. I wanted four wheel drive to deal with the winter weather conditions of the Northeast. However, I was getting tired of paying for the poor gas economy of a mid size SUV. The Outback fit the bill perfectly. This is a very nice vehicle. It is well made inside and out. It drives very much like the 1984 Toyota Supra I owned for ten years. The 6 cylinder boxer is very smooth and powerful. Plenty of passing power, very stable and nimble in the turns. It is very easy to build up speed without noticing it. Good braking. All this and 4 wheel too. Buy it!

Better fuel economy than an SUV. 4 wheel drive. Drives like a sports car. Nice smooth ride. Plenty of reserve power. While the radio gets criticized, I think it is quite good. I don't need 300 dB of base! Sleek design.

Seating could be more comfortable (cloth seats). Better cup holder placement and design. Needs a little more rear seat room. Needs a place to store change. Larger glove box. Improved dc outlet location. My cell charger barely fits in the console without hitting the shifter. Full size spare.

Refined vehicle
By Nate

2006 Subaru Outback 3.0 R 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Definitely a step up from the previous generation Outbacks, a lot of thought went into improving the interior design and materials. The H6 pulls nicely, very smooth motor. Would like to see better fuel economy, a mix of hwy/city is giving between 18-20.

Sportiness, fun to drive, AWD, interior quality.

Better fuel economy, input on radio for MP3 players, a few more inches of rear legroom.