Used 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Dependable workhorse
By ctac

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our family has been running this Outback for almost four years. We put a little over 50K miles on it, with probably 30K of daily commute and 10K of annual ski trips. Subarus are usually praised for their AWD, but in the first couple of winters I had some skidding incidents (shouldn't have pressed the gas pedal so carelessly on tight turns! This is a manual transmission car, so not all of the fancy electronic stabilization systems are available). Once that has been figured out, we found ourselves working as a snow taxi for our friends in a small Midwestern town. I was disappointed with the fuel economy at first (it was clearly below the nominal rating), but then it somehow got better.

AWD and mechanical reliability were important factors in our decision to buy this vehicle, and it has been standing to the expectations (knocking on wood).

Air circulation is somewhat weird, some combinations cannot be set. Alternator problems produced high pitch when anything was plugged into the DC socket under the stereo. Power seat for driver only is discriminatory! Either the kids have been growing too fast, or space is really a problem.

We don't need no stinkin' turbo!
By Lynne

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru was a 2000 Limited Wagon. Had no trouble at all with it, except the automatic transmission never seemed to downshift when I thought it should. Now have the 2006 Outback wagon, and love the redesign both inside and out. Have 5 speed manual transmission in this car and love it. If you know how to drive a manual transmission, get it in this car as you can do way better than the 0 - 60 on the automatic transmission. This car is lots of fun to drive, and hugs the road even though it sits rather high up. I feel very safe in it in all weather. I get approx 27 mpg combined in this car with normal driving, but it can really move with the 5 speed manual if you need it to.

5 speed manual, hugs the road, great combination of fun to drive and practicality, can't beat it for the money.

Bring back the weather band radio, get rid of the annoying seat belt chime, rear gate board rattles in everyday driving, a six speed manual would be nice. Otherwise love the car!

Excellent Vehicle
By JM94

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 92x for the 2.5I with Navigation; I've had it a few weeks and love it. Vehicle is very solid, absolutely hugs the road and rides much smoother than I expected. It feels safe as a tank, and already I'm getting 27-28 mpg on the highway. The navigation system is cool, the guy has a slight Australian accent. You won't win any drag races with this car, but it is more than adequate for every day life on the highway. I had a car with 227 hp before and found it was an utter waste; great I can floor it for 3 seconds before I have to stop again in traffic. Thinking of an SUV but worried about gas, check this car out, you won't be disappointed. You will save on insurance too, very low risk.

Has the unique feel of an SUV, without being high up, plus it rides much smoother. Got to love the Navigation system, even though if you disobey it a few times, you can confuse it, eventually it will figure out where you are and recalculate directions. Ride quality is great, far better than I expected.

Vehicle is great, I guess if they added stability control, it would be a nice feature but Subaru's AWD system is awesome. I've had a few and never had a situation where the car lost traction. My garage door opener doesn't fit on the sun visor - it's too thick, but that's not a deal breaker.

Nice Car!
By sasquatch

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first Subaru since my 85 GL Wagon. It came down to a choice between the Sube and a Honda CR-V EX AWD. I chose the Sube because of its superior AWD system and better towing capacity, while the Honda had an advantage in interior space. So far, after 3000 miles but no winter driving, I'm pleased. I'm averaging 25-26 mpg. I get 30 mpg on the highway at 65 with the A/C on, or at 70 with it off; mileage decreases to about 26 at 80 mph. Trip computer mileage estimate is optimistic by about 2 mpg. Plenty peppy with manual transmission, but revs are high - almost 2700 rpm at 60 mph. I just hope that Subaru hasn't strayed too far from its roots - who really needs expensive 55-series tires?

Big sunroof, smooth shifter, nice driving position, nice exterior styling. Good build quality - no problems so far. Unlike some other folks who posted here, I find that pedal spacing is okay for my size 13s.

Better leg and foot space in the back. Daytime driving lights, without an auto headlight setting, are dangerous - can fool you into not turning on your lights at night. I would prefer the stereo to be a simple slide-in, rather than integrated into the dash, for cheaper replacement when it dies.

Love this car!
By honhi96825

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 1999 Forester for this car and I love it! I looked at the 2006 Foresters and found the seats to be too uncomfortable. This Outback is much more comfortable, with better features (side curtain airbags, dual A/C control) than the LL Bean Forester. The clutch and shifting is much smoother than my 1999 car. Having power in the armrest allows me to use my iPod my more than ever before (I keep the adapter plugged in all the time). Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Dual A/C control - especially since my husband tends to be warmer than me!

Volume controls on the steering wheel at this price point and direct MP3 player hook up.