Used 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Good wagon, but not great
By andy

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Being a Honda man, I defaulted to a Subaru Outback wagon because the Accord isn't available in an AWD wagon; a manual transmission because of its slow 0-60 times. I have a few complaints: shifter is too far forward in relation to how I like to sit in the driver's seat, power windows go up and down too slowly, miss the power up feature in my old Accord, wind and tire noise, rear slides out when cornering, exterior panel gaps are too wide and are unsightly, balky and ambiguous manual gear shift pattern and feel of engagement, awkward clutch/gear engagement (compared to my old Accord), the lack of telescoping steering column, sub-par standard audio system/speakers and lack of standard sunroof.

Auto-dim rear view mirror, heated side mirrors, beige/sand interior color, availability of 5-speed manual transmission, standard roof rack, cargo space, interior and exterior styling, 17 inch wheels, heated windshield wipers and decent pricing.

More cup holders up front please, more horsepower to make up for its weight, standard moon roof, traction control and vehicle dynamics control system (as in the v-6 Accord), improve the speed of the power windows, add power up feature as well.

So Far, So Good
By ob-skier

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought based on my mechanic recommending only Toyota, Honda, or Subaru. Had several friends with Outbacks. I considered the RAV4, CR-V, Accord, Legacy sedan. Would have gone with the Legacy, but no fold-down seats limits its utility. Gas mileage is ok - but expected with AWD.

Styling, utility, price. Great value.

Air conditioning could be beefier. A sixth gear would be nice. Over-the- shoulder sight lines on the driver side are tight. A better engine without needing premium gas. More useful storage bins up front. Steering wheel radio controls. Telescoping steering wheel. Nothing major.

Still getting acquainted with my Subie
By Andy

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to my outgoing 2004 Honda Accord EX, I've discovered the following about my new Outback: it has more tire and wind noise, pretty weak standard sound system, no standard moon roof and preferred the Honda's interior center stack. That said, I am benefiting from the AWD, standard side curtain airbags, more horsepower, power adjustable driver seat, heated rearview mirrors/windshield wiper wells. I am experiencing a tach surge (up to 2500 rpm) at idle when coasting. The stick shift gates are a bit of a struggle to find the proper gears. I really miss the front console ambient lighting in my old Honda. Inside dome light does not adequately illuminate the front seat area.

I love the AWD, interior and exterior styling! Nice auto dimming rear-view mirror. Love the confidence of great crash safety ratings & standard side curtain airbags.

I expected more standard stuff on a $25K vehicle. Hate the seatbelt reminder beeping! I have to slam the rear hatch door to close it securely. How about standard tilt AND telescoping steering wheel column, standard moonroof, better OE tires and quieter interior.

Snow King Subaru
By Denny

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Took this Subaru hunting season in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where I live; the 2nd day our tent nearly collapsed due to 14" of heavy wet snow that fell while we were sleeping. We were 1/4 mile off the main road, had to cut trees off the road to clear the way. Drove the Subaru out breaking trail through 14" of heavy wet greasy snow and it never faltered or had any traction problems ... used to 4 wheel drive trucks and this was a wonderful surprise to me. Traction was great in a worst case scenario.

Quick handling and stability and traction.

Put the brake and clutch pedals farther apart so I can wear my swampers (oversize insulated cold weather boots) when driving.

A confirmed Subaru buyer
By Trina Stephenson

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned many Subarus -- 1993 Impreza, 2000 Forester, 2004 Outback and now the 2006 Outback. Basically the car gets better with each iteration. There are a few things missing on my 2006 that I had on the 2004 which I miss: 1. Weatherband radio, why was this fantastic feature removed? It was great when we traveled through tornado alley to make sure there weren't any weather events that we should know about. 2. The beeping feature on the seatbelts is annoying. My dog sets off the seatbelt alarm, my bag of trash or myself driving 100 feet down my driveway before I dash out to open my gate all set it off. 3. The cupholder is still awkward and small.

1. Better front cupholders, more front storage, no beeping seatbelts alarms, put BACK the weatherband radio and most important get a FULL SIZE SPARE! I live remotely and cannot get to a tire store in less than 60 miles of mountainous driving so hope I never get a serious flat.