Used 2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Sure-footed, but incredibly unreliable
By kbourdeau

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My '06 2.5i Ltd. (118,000 mi.) blew its head gaskets for the second time in less than 3 yrs. today. Replaced all 4 sets of wheel bearings at least once, broken front axle, wiring harness on back hatch, door handle, console cover broke off completely years ago, rear defrost never did work properly, etc. Never had a car in the shop as much as this one. Loved the traction - absolutely hated the total lack of quality in this vehicle. Not feeling the love... If you insist on a Subaru, but a model from '08 or newer - they are supposedly much more reliable.

Favorite Features

Traction, handling, appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Much better materials and workmanship. More cups holders and storage. Bigger, peppier engine. MP3 input (already on newer models)

It's like a cockroach - it's almost indestructible
By sherry32

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Outback Wagon has over 132,000 miles on it, and has been completely trouble free for 7 years. It drives no differently than it did when it was new. I'd actually kind of like a new car, but it's hard to justify the expense when this one is paid for and is so reliable.

Favorite Features

This car is the poster child for reliability. Back in the day when it was still under warranty, the thermostat had to be replaced, and a rear power window needed repair. The belt for the power steering wore out around 100,000 miles. Other than that, I've done nothing but routine maintenance, and have had no problems with this car. It doesn't know the meaning of the word "drama". I turn the key, it starts, and it just goes. It's terrific in snow and rain, consistently gets 26 mpg or better, and is not fazed by tough mountain roads in the winter. It's sporty and fun to drive. And it's amazing how much stuff you can fit in an Outback, even with a large dog riding shotgun!

Suggested Improvements

The main complaint that I have with my Subaru is that it is uncomfortable on long trips. It's unpleasant to drive for more than a couple of hours. I bought the most basic, stripped down model available, and in retrospect wish that I had chosen a model with a few creature comforts.

Check Engine Light Horrors
By yifinguy

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved my Roo until the Check Engine Light came on. First it was the O-2 sensors code that came up. After a $400 cost to replace those, then came a code indicating Random Misfire and I replaced the plugs, then came a P20296 code showing eventually that it needed a new computer which will cost over $600 for a 2nd hand one - almost $900 for a new one. You have to get it re-keyed with a new Electronic Control Module. Nickel and dime to death isn't the word for it! When those codes come up, you have no cruise either! All of this has happened within a few weeks.

Favorite Features

We both love the snappy performance and that you have lots of road control even in the worst winter conditions. The turbo puts you past all the slower drivers in an instant. Great for hauling my pop-up camper. The short turning radius is impressive, too.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the immobility feature on the keys or make it optional. It's another $125 when you get the new computer.

Worry free vehicle
By dozer

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Ltd 4dr Wagon AWD w/Black Int (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 5spd OBXT Limited new back in '06. Have not had a single problem after 6 years and 53K miles. The car is bullet proof, both mechanically and cosmetically. Paint has held up extemely well, very chip resistant. As for traction, the car is unstoppable in snow. Two foot drifts barely register with the Subie's tenacious AWD and ample road clearance. If you live in or near a snow belt, these cars are at the very top of the food chain. Best part is performance. The XT has some STi DNA. It eats Audi A4's for lunch in the stoplight wars. Reliability, unflappable AWD, lightening quick w/turbo, sharp looking. Love it, love it, love it! I plan to hopefully ride it another 6 years.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, snow handling AWD, sharp looks (IMHO '05 and '06 were the high water mark years in this regard), and last but not least Subaru's legendary reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the XT (turbo) for the Outback and give it a 6MT and/or a dual clutch style tranny option. It was and remains the adult version of a WRX.

Can't believe this is a Subaru
By srhorn77

2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Outback used with 78K miles. After 800 miles of driving, the weather turned cold and the tranny started slamming from 3rd into 4th. I took it to the dealer and they recommended I replace the tranny for $3400. There's also a rubber/oil burning smell when driven long distances. The radio and drivers window randomly stop working and the entire lighter assembly pulled completely out when I tried to unplug my car charger. This car must have been built the Monday after Superbowl Sunday before coffee. I'm so disappointed in this car. Subaru is supposed to be so reliable but I can't wait to trade it. The good is it does great in the snow. I had a 2003 Impreza and loved it!

Favorite Features

The AWD does great in the snow.