Worst car ever owned
By david338 on
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
My 2005 Outback is a money pit. I guess I got a lemon. Does the mfg. replace lemons? Head gaskets need to be replaced (poor design). I have had to replace both front axles, CV joints, hubs right rear and front, bushings bearings, etc...... already put $2000 in and expecting to layout another $2000 (no joke). I would recommend buying a HONDA. Oh yeah my father in law bought a new outback and already had to replace front right CV. At least his was under warranty. Maybe I am the isolated anomaly but it still hurts.
Favorite Features
Heated seats and the green paint. Leather is nice as well.
Suggested Improvements
Where do I begin?
By dcarter13
on 03/05/14 18:06 PM (PST)

You are NOT the anomaly. I must say that when I read your post, I started laughing out loud. I too am a not so proud owner of a 2005 Outback lemon. We bought it used with 89,000 miles 3 years ago and I have had ALL of the same issues that you have listed above oh, plus a broken sway bar, and in the 3 years I have had the car I have had to replace struts twice. (No, I don't do any off roading). I just took it in for a brake line recall last week and was informed that my head gaskets were leaking. A few months ago I had a random issue with the electronic system. Interior lights dim and brighten on their own and radio decided to turn the volume up to 25 all by itself. When I called the dealership to ask about this issue, I was asked by the service technician if someone had died in the car. It has now turned into a sad family joke. I begged a fireman to drive it into a forest fire, he wouldn't do it. I missed a major flood that surely would have taken it out by 1 day, and my mechanic refuses to drop it off of the lift when he is working on it. I can only pray that a hail storm will take it out this spring before I have to pay for anymore repairs. On the plus side, best darn car I've ever driven in the snow in. No way in hell I would ever buy another.