Worst car ever owned
By david338 on
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
My 2005 Outback is a money pit. I guess I got a lemon. Does the mfg. replace lemons? Head gaskets need to be replaced (poor design). I have had to replace both front axles, CV joints, hubs right rear and front, bushings bearings, etc...... already put $2000 in and expecting to layout another $2000 (no joke). I would recommend buying a HONDA. Oh yeah my father in law bought a new outback and already had to replace front right CV. At least his was under warranty. Maybe I am the isolated anomaly but it still hurts.
Favorite Features
Heated seats and the green paint. Leather is nice as well.
Suggested Improvements
Where do I begin?
By dcarter13
on 03/05/14 18:06 PM (PST)

You are NOT the anomaly. I must say that when I read your post, I started laughing out loud. I too am a not so proud owner of a 2005 Outback lemon. We bought it used with 89,000 miles 3 years ago and I have had ALL of the same issues that you have listed above oh, plus a broken sway bar, and in the 3 years I have had the car I have had to replace struts twice. (No, I don't do any off roading). I just took it in for a brake line recall last week and was informed that my head gaskets were leaking. A few months ago I had a random issue with the electronic system. Interior lights dim and brighten on their own and radio decided to turn the volume up to 25 all by itself. When I called the dealership to ask about this issue, I was asked by the service technician if someone had died in the car. It has now turned into a sad family joke. I begged a fireman to drive it into a forest fire, he wouldn't do it. I missed a major flood that surely would have taken it out by 1 day, and my mechanic refuses to drop it off of the lift when he is working on it. I can only pray that a hail storm will take it out this spring before I have to pay for anymore repairs. On the plus side, best darn car I've ever driven in the snow in. No way in hell I would ever buy another.

By orangelebaron
on 08/23/14 21:26 PM (PDT)

I am the original owner of a 2005 Outback 2.5i Limited with only 94,000 miles. I am replacing so many things lately... I am wondering if I should just get rid of it. I replaced the whole front end in the last year. Yesterday I replaced both front axles. A few months ago the harmonic balancer (accessory belt pulley) broke off (why should that happen at only 92K?). The belts cut through the AC compressor electrical connector, breaking it inside the clutch, rendering the AC useless and unfixable without taking the clutch off. So... no AC this summer. Then I hear noises in the dash and the climate control goes out. Turns out a blend door must be sticking in the dash, blowing the CC fuse. Only way to fix that would be to take the dash apart. Are you kidding me? Oh and one of the doors cannot be opened because a fragile door handle linkage snapped! Not to mention all the headlights that burn out... uncomfortable seats, bad gas mileage.