Third time's charm!
By km on
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
Bigger, plusher, more leg room, and more slylish than previous Subarus. Re-styled (esp. the back end, which is less gaudy) and a bigger, more plush cabin. Quiet, smooth ride. 8.4 ground clearance. Base model loaded with goodies: heated front seats/ windshield/mirrors, power driver's seat, 6- speaker stereo w/CD, cruise, 4 side curtain airbags, titanium/wood trim, plush upholstery/mats, trip computer, rear spoiler, etc. I've test driven everything recently (Toyotas, Hondas, Saturns, etc., all sizes/ shapes), did my homework, used a spreadsheet, and still each came up short. The test drive blew me away...this is NOT my father's Buick!
Favorite Features
New styling, especially the back, and the interior is much more luxurious than in the past (classy wood-grain trim, sleek titanium console, very nice/comfy upholstery). Lots of standard items that used to be optional (aka, costly) equipment . The price is a steal for all the amenities.
Suggested Improvements
Gray plastic body cladding seams cheap, but time and freeway rocks will tell. HP could use a boost, but overall it's peppy (check out the turbo or the 3.0L versions for more power...BTW: turbo requires premium gas!)