2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Blown Turbo(s)

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5 XT Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Blown Turbo(s)
By zkeatley on

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my familes second Outback with the first one putting in 10 solid years of service. The only thing that was lacking for me was that there was not sufficient enough power for passing so I was excited to find the turbo model which added greatly to the cars performance numbers and made the car fun to drive. The first turbo blew right around 60k and the second was like clock work at 120k. Sure things break on a car but at $2500 a piece, and the same exact part with the same exact problem...not really. The first time it took 4 weeks to get my car fixed because the turbo was on back order and there were two other cars at the same dealer, with the same exact problem.

I enjoyed the all black leather interior as it was easy to clean and maintain. I also enjoyed the overall function of the car and that it handled more like a car than an SUV but I would advise anyone to avoid the turbo model based on my experience.

Customer service. Both Subaru dealers blamed the problem on a clogged oil screen and by doing so, blamed me for not changing the oil in the car which I change myself on a regular basis. The Subaru dealer stated that the manufacturer recommended not putting the oil screen back in during the second installation yet they would not offer any assistance or discount for the replacement of the second turbo. Even a small gesture on the part of Subaru might have saved me as a customer for life but I did not feel any love from them and so now, I drive a Nissan. I know this much, I will never purchase another turbo charged car. As for Subaru...probably not but I won't say never.
By addola
on 10/22/13 01:53 AM (PDT)

4 weeks backorder!... I used to order parts from Sweden (to Saudi Arabia) for my Saab, and it does not take that much. It's really shocking, a measly turbo cost $2500?! The Saab 9-5 Turbo cost around $1000, and would last well over 100k.