2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: It's no Audi S4, but...

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5 XT Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

It's no Audi S4, but...
By Jack on

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

...that's not a bad thing! Don't tell the Audi guys, but I'm a Subie convert. Prior to the XT I owned an Audi S4 with the biturbo 2.7 V6 and 6 speed transmission, AWD, of course. I've always been a car guy and the S4 is a "car guy" kind of car, but I actually like the Outback XT more. Why? It provides 90% of the driving pleasure of the S4 (100% of the acceleration!) but without the worry over expensive repairs. I am totally thrilled with this car. I bought mine with 32,000 miles on it, one owner, and the car looks, feels, and runs like brand spankin' new. I used to think I was an Audi guy. Turns out I was actually a Subie guy with pretensions. Dropped the pretense and picked up the Subaru.

Acceleration (despite mild turbo lag), build quality, seats, rear cargo space, lots of useful but never gimmicky features, beautiful finish (Red Garnet), nice interior quality.

Five speed shifter could have shorter throw (...and a 6th gear). Needs more storage accessible from the driver's seat. Armrest is not really an armrest.