2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Never again, going back to Toy

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Never again, going back to Toyota!
By msshrink on

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2.5i Subaru Outback used about two and a half years ago, after totaling my previous car in a nasty rainstorm. The four wheel drive was barely needed overall (milder winters) and my gas mileage plummeted from the mid 30s per gallon (Camry) to more like 20 mpg, sometimes a rare 25 on the highway. Then an annoying clicking sound developed when I turned the wheel and, only two years into the vehicle, both axles were shot. Naturally, they were very expensive because they could not be after-market, only Subaru. Several mechanics told me this is not unusual for Subarus, and after I had to plunk down over $1,000 suggested I head back to Toyota-land.

It does drive nicely, handles well and safety is something you can count on the Outback for. I also love the cargo area for loading groceries, lengthy or bulky purchases from Home Depot, etc. Very easy on the back and holds a LOT!

If the axles going belly up in under 50,000 miles are supposedly "not unusual", take a look at this, please. Also, I really miss having a cassette deck but I doubt they are coming back any time soon.