2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Best I've Ever Owned

2005 Subaru Outback Sedan - Consumer Review

Best I've Ever Owned
By BILL on

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great overall value as with previous Subarus I've owned, but very refined. Compares favorably to an Audi A4 Quattro in performance, features and comfort, but it was $10-12k less. Full-time AWD is seamless and sure, and the 6 cyl boxster engine with the Auto stick trans is great for both performance and convenience, but I still get 26-29 mpg in mixed driving. In almost 60k on the odo, not a single maintenance issue. I know all cars are getting better all the time, but I've owned dozens of every type and major brand over 38 years, and this is the best ever for me. I'm keeping this one, but if I had to trade, I'd swap for a newer version of the same.

AWD; Boxster 6; 5 sp auto-stick; heated leather seats, mirrors, w/s and rear glass; power everything; high clearance; good mileage.

Could be offered in other trim levels, and still be a great deal. May have changed, but for '05 only this 3.0 R was offered.