Used 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Fine car, at least till gas went up
By John

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

1st class well designed and works well. AC needs a "single" button for one occupant or you're changing two dials to get one change. Bridgestone standard tires simply awful - didn't last long and slid about all over the place. Replaced with Goodyear triple tred and now handles like on rails wet or dry, but more road noise and lost at least 2 mpg. No reliability problems, one set of headlights (33k right now), but mpg is bad. Town driving normally, I get 17-18, put your foot down a little and average barely 16. Long run, get 27mph predictably. Think of her as a 4cyl wagon and that's disappointing. Think of her as a V8 fast, low COG SUV - the best kept secret in motoring!

Favorite Features

Exterior lines, internal finish. Performance. Ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Single button for dual zone AC to avoid flipping two dials everytime you want a change. Better MPG (hybrid Subaru - are you out there?). Ext audio (e.g. iPod) hookup (now done latest models I think). One touch close for sunroof (takes 4 right now I think).

Subaru Quality
By Peter

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Came from a Volks Jetta VR6 wagon, surprised that the Outback gets better gas mileage then the Jetta, even though the Jetta was a smaller car and front wheel drive. All arround the Outback is good car. Feel very safe with Outback, in addition to its sturdiness. So far it is a reliable car, even though I have spent a total of $1500 on the brakes two different times.

Favorite Features

The Outback is good looking. Very happy with stereo. Highway mileage is better then what was stated. Very comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

The sunroof liner creaks. Door windows need a frame. The interior upholstrey could use impovement in the fit and finish. The hooks that hold the floor mats in place broke, need to improve that design.

A 3 Year Review of the Outback XT
By 3year-review

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have put about 42,000 miles on my black on black Outback XT that I leased brand new. This is a great wagon for hauling your junk around. I only had one trip to the dealer for any warranty issues, and that issue was a minor wiring fix. The turbocharged engine has plenty of power on tap. Amazingly, the OEM tires (Potenza) still have decent tread remaining. I average 22 MPG with 75% highway miles and a heavy foot. Drives great in the snow although it does have a tendency to fishtail. I would surely buy one again.

Favorite Features

Turbocharger, storage space, AWD, seat warmers, subwoofer, 6 CD changer, durability.

Suggested Improvements

Climate control hard to dial in. Place audio controls on the steeering wheel.

Perfect choice
By John

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I decided to trade in my gas guzzling truck for a smaller car with better gas milage. This was a great choice. The AWD handling is new to me and if I don't be careful it WILL get me in trouble. Base model engine has little pick up but runs great once rolling, but I expected this and accept it. It has climbed some fairly mean off road trails and only had a slight overheat, with no problems later. I love my "new" 'Ru!

Favorite Features

AWD! Gauge cluster with temp and mileage, heated seats, flat fold down rear seats, rear 12 volt, easy owner oil changes, overall look.

Suggested Improvements

Headlamps that don't burn out all the time.

Happy with power, unhappy with quality
By Mark

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I expected the usual Subaru quality with this vehicle. The performance is everything I expected but the build quality is not. Door handle trims falling off and arm rest covers falling off are not what I expect. The latest surprise was having to replace CV boots and clatch at 55000 miles. I've driven manuals all my life and never replaced a clutch.

Favorite Features

Look, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality, MP3 jack, new keyfob design (sick of it going off in my pocket or when I just hold my keys with something else).