2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Hidden Cost - Replace tires in pairs
By Tired of run around on 01/05/06 13:59 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Per the Service Manager at Dallas Subaru, tires must be replaced in pairs, either the two front or the two rear, at the same time. My 2005 Outback wagon has 25,000 miles on it and pulls so hard to the right, it's hard to keep it on the road. I have one off-brand tire and the dealer requires that I replace it and the other rear tire with matching major brand tires before they will even put the car on the rack to check the alignment. He says that every time one tire goes out, two must be replaced so they will have identical wear. Otherwise, warranty on the car does not apply and the car will not handle properly. I think this is an unreasonable expense and hidden cost.

Not a bad Car...
By Brian Muir on 01/03/06 13:45 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for just over 9 months. This makes my 9th Subaru. Overall it's a very nice car. Front seats comfy and instrument panel are very easy on the eyes. The center instrument cluster is just to BUSY. Wait till you see it at night, I thought I was flying a jet! It wouldn't be so bad if different areas (heat, radio) were different colors. But everything is amber at night. Very confusing to find things. I'm not too happy with the automatic transmission, but I love the Sports mode! The Gas economy is terrible. I think most pick-up trucks do better. Remember high test gas ONLY.

Outback ech
By Outback on 01/03/06 05:58 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a Outback wagon 4 cylinder - I'm not impressed. I had Saab's for 20+ years. This is smaller inside (almost tight - tough to impossible to take more than 3 golfing), inside design just a 4, the MPG is a major disappointment- 23-25, the ride is stiff, little to no driving feel or fun, all-wheel is good but no better than Saab with snows. So for the good - reliable so far, dealership service good, replaced radio -- odd? So far fairly inexpensive to service and maintain, just oil changes, more at major mileages. So overall: a 5 from 1-10. Next car: back to Saab (expensive to maintain); a domestic, Honda or Toyota wagon hybrid.

To Subi or not to Subi, ....... question
By RBN on 01/02/06 14:38 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very well performing station wagon that has a lot of utility. 250 HP is great, smooth transmission makes for a soft ride. 19 mpg is not great but a fair deal for the performance and utility received. Tire pressure sensors are sensitive and alarm the driver somewhat early. In fall and spring when night and daytime temperatures vary more than usual, the warning light goes of frequently. All in all a great car with full time all wheel drive. Ultimate control in every weather. Nothing slips, nothing slides. Great car.

Good, but could be better
By Jerry Levy on 12/17/05 00:47 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent driving experience, a good combination of handling and luxury ride. Fun on two lane mountain highways, dirt roads, and freeways. Dealer very helpful when I needed unscheduled maintenance--gave me a new, free car for two weeks.

Love My First Subaru
By Tony on 11/27/05 13:52 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I recently purchased our first Subaru. We briefly considered buying an SUV but after test driving the Outback, we were hooked. We have been very satisfied with our choice. The Outback is perfect for northern climates and handles great on wet and snowy roads. The interior is very comfortable and the base model is packed with nice features like heated seats and mirrors. No matter what the weather is like outside, I look forward to getting behind the wheel.

Long Term Test Drive
By Pilgrim on 11/06/05 16:59 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 10 months now and it's still a thrill to drive. Full-time all wheel drive is wonderful; though the stock tires are a poor choice. Transmission is smooth yet tight, one of the best I've driven. With better than 10K miles still no rattles. Surprising handling for such a high profile will be made much better by tires that actually grip the road. Despite the tires the car has a very substantial feel whether on a back country dirt road or out on the interstate behind a semi on a windy winter's night.

Quattro-killer
By stoweman on 10/27/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I absolutely love this rig. Mileage is so-so, but that is what you get for driving a car that absolutely is fearless in Northern Vermont winters. I switch the stock Potenzas for Hakkapalita RSIs mounted on simple, cheap 16" aluminum wheels in the winter to save the nice 17" stock wheels but also to avoid the wobbly feeling snow build-up that often plagues nice rims in winter. I bought this car to replace a VW Jetta VR6, and am completely happy with my decision. I commute through some of the nastiest roads and weather around, and have NEVER felt that the car would let meet down. It started right up after 24 hours parked in -33 F, and has yet to disappoint me. And it's faaaast!

After 30,000 miles!
By sabatia on 10/18/05 08:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven 30k miles, including three trips to my extreme getaway in the near arctic in winter and summer, city driving, and semi-rural around home. This car is fun to drive, feels quite safe, has plenty of cargo room, a big sunroof. If I could do it again, I would have gone up one more step to the VDC and gotten a major winter safety boost. The all-wheel drive is seamless and has gotten me out of some very slippery and rough situations in my explorations of very remote areas in all seasons. I live in a very wealthy area and I don't see any car I'd rather have!

Traded My '03 WRX
By Rob M on 10/05/05 17:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Perfect all around car. Does everything well without a complaint. Traded my '03 WRX because I needed more room. Leather interior is great, versus cloth in WRX. Extremely reliable, never a worry. Get loads of compliments, Atlantic blue with grey. Looks great even while standing still. Best buy for the money, compared to the other imports from AUDI, VOLVO, BMW. Thousands less and more power, paid just over $29k.