Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

AWD is Overrated.
By Alex

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Really liked it at first, but after two years, I'm happy to be getting rid of it. I bought it for the cargo space and AWD. Lot's of space, very nice driving position, and comfortable front seats. However, it absolutely stinks in the snow (so much for AWD - had to buy snow tires anyway), the back seat is cramped for a car this big, it is SO underpowered, and it eats gas. Also, some interior elements are really shoddy and scratch easily (what is with the cargo cover?), and very large bumper overhang makes it almost impossible to parallel park. Lastly, after 30k miles, distinctive burning rubber smell started coming through the heat vents. Dealer could never figure out what was wrong.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, mirrors, and windshield wipers. Nice looking car inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

AWD is a gimmick. Get a FWD car and buy some snow tires. You'll save fuel and power.

Never again, going back to Toyota!
By msshrink

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this 2.5i Subaru Outback used about two and a half years ago, after totaling my previous car in a nasty rainstorm. The four wheel drive was barely needed overall (milder winters) and my gas mileage plummeted from the mid 30s per gallon (Camry) to more like 20 mpg, sometimes a rare 25 on the highway. Then an annoying clicking sound developed when I turned the wheel and, only two years into the vehicle, both axles were shot. Naturally, they were very expensive because they could not be after-market, only Subaru. Several mechanics told me this is not unusual for Subarus, and after I had to plunk down over $1,000 suggested I head back to Toyota-land.

Favorite Features

It does drive nicely, handles well and safety is something you can count on the Outback for. I also love the cargo area for loading groceries, lengthy or bulky purchases from Home Depot, etc. Very easy on the back and holds a LOT!

Suggested Improvements

If the axles going belly up in under 50,000 miles are supposedly "not unusual", take a look at this, please. Also, I really miss having a cassette deck but I doubt they are coming back any time soon.

Fine car, at least till gas went up
By John

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

1st class well designed and works well. AC needs a "single" button for one occupant or you're changing two dials to get one change. Bridgestone standard tires simply awful - didn't last long and slid about all over the place. Replaced with Goodyear triple tred and now handles like on rails wet or dry, but more road noise and lost at least 2 mpg. No reliability problems, one set of headlights (33k right now), but mpg is bad. Town driving normally, I get 17-18, put your foot down a little and average barely 16. Long run, get 27mph predictably. Think of her as a 4cyl wagon and that's disappointing. Think of her as a V8 fast, low COG SUV - the best kept secret in motoring!

Favorite Features

Exterior lines, internal finish. Performance. Ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Single button for dual zone AC to avoid flipping two dials everytime you want a change. Better MPG (hybrid Subaru - are you out there?). Ext audio (e.g. iPod) hookup (now done latest models I think). One touch close for sunroof (takes 4 right now I think).

Subaru Quality
By Peter

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Came from a Volks Jetta VR6 wagon, surprised that the Outback gets better gas mileage then the Jetta, even though the Jetta was a smaller car and front wheel drive. All arround the Outback is good car. Feel very safe with Outback, in addition to its sturdiness. So far it is a reliable car, even though I have spent a total of $1500 on the brakes two different times.

Favorite Features

The Outback is good looking. Very happy with stereo. Highway mileage is better then what was stated. Very comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

The sunroof liner creaks. Door windows need a frame. The interior upholstrey could use impovement in the fit and finish. The hooks that hold the floor mats in place broke, need to improve that design.

A 3 Year Review of the Outback XT
By 3year-review

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have put about 42,000 miles on my black on black Outback XT that I leased brand new. This is a great wagon for hauling your junk around. I only had one trip to the dealer for any warranty issues, and that issue was a minor wiring fix. The turbocharged engine has plenty of power on tap. Amazingly, the OEM tires (Potenza) still have decent tread remaining. I average 22 MPG with 75% highway miles and a heavy foot. Drives great in the snow although it does have a tendency to fishtail. I would surely buy one again.

Favorite Features

Turbocharger, storage space, AWD, seat warmers, subwoofer, 6 CD changer, durability.

Suggested Improvements

Climate control hard to dial in. Place audio controls on the steeering wheel.