2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews 8

2005 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
love it
By c on 02/14/06 13:24 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from a Pathfinder that I loved to the 2005 2.5i limited. Very comfortable, agile and just superb in bad weather. Driving in rain is like driving on dry pavement. In 18" of snow it did well except when the drifts exceeded the front hood. All I had to do was back up and try again and it blasted right through.

cruise (out of) control
By fred on 02/07/06 13:23 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had an '03 Forester with cruise control that worked great. Why did they change it? Have they never heard "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Have had it "worked on" several times including sending the unit to regional office for re-programming and it still "hunts" while going down hill. Very annoying! :-( Is the factory going to recall the '05s and correct it? Am losing my patience! Otherwise, I think it is a very fine vehicle.

Never Again
By Keith on 02/02/06 16:40 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I dislike this Subaru more than any car I have ever owned. I avoid driving this car rather than deal with the car's quirky and dangerous characteristics. Examples: Climbing a hill at highway speeds the car shifts between 4th & 5th gears every 4 seconds on average. The car responds to quick acceleration maneuvers with a 2-3 second delay before accelerating; not a good thing on busy Southern California freeways. The car has only 8K miles. After nine months as a Subaru owner I am ready to visit my Toyota dealer and eat the trade-in costs. I hate this car!

family wagon from hades
By mick maccionagh on 01/25/06 17:04 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Wow. One review I read while I was researching vehicles and trying to decide which to buy in the spring of '05 referred to the '05 XT LTD as the family wagon from Hades in regards to its absolute rocket-like reaction to full gas petal depression. Now I know what he meant. The car is very comfortable, nicely packaged, bolted down very well, nice touch here, classy touch there, safe as can be, reliable etc. But, what it's really about is what happens after the turbo spools up. I really believe, as Iíve read elsewhere on more than one occasion, that the 250 advertised hp is conservative, at the least. Itís a great car and fun as all get out to drive. Buy one. Tomorrow.

Hidden Cost - Replace tires in pairs
By Tired of run around on 01/05/06 13:59 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Per the Service Manager at Dallas Subaru, tires must be replaced in pairs, either the two front or the two rear, at the same time. My 2005 Outback wagon has 25,000 miles on it and pulls so hard to the right, it's hard to keep it on the road. I have one off-brand tire and the dealer requires that I replace it and the other rear tire with matching major brand tires before they will even put the car on the rack to check the alignment. He says that every time one tire goes out, two must be replaced so they will have identical wear. Otherwise, warranty on the car does not apply and the car will not handle properly. I think this is an unreasonable expense and hidden cost.

Not a bad Car...
By Brian Muir on 01/03/06 13:45 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for just over 9 months. This makes my 9th Subaru. Overall it's a very nice car. Front seats comfy and instrument panel are very easy on the eyes. The center instrument cluster is just to BUSY. Wait till you see it at night, I thought I was flying a jet! It wouldn't be so bad if different areas (heat, radio) were different colors. But everything is amber at night. Very confusing to find things. I'm not too happy with the automatic transmission, but I love the Sports mode! The Gas economy is terrible. I think most pick-up trucks do better. Remember high test gas ONLY.

Outback ech
By Outback on 01/03/06 05:58 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought a Outback wagon 4 cylinder - I'm not impressed. I had Saab's for 20+ years. This is smaller inside (almost tight - tough to impossible to take more than 3 golfing), inside design just a 4, the MPG is a major disappointment- 23-25, the ride is stiff, little to no driving feel or fun, all-wheel is good but no better than Saab with snows. So for the good - reliable so far, dealership service good, replaced radio -- odd? So far fairly inexpensive to service and maintain, just oil changes, more at major mileages. So overall: a 5 from 1-10. Next car: back to Saab (expensive to maintain); a domestic, Honda or Toyota wagon hybrid.

To Subi or not to Subi, ....... question
By RBN on 01/02/06 14:38 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R L.L.Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very well performing station wagon that has a lot of utility. 250 HP is great, smooth transmission makes for a soft ride. 19 mpg is not great but a fair deal for the performance and utility received. Tire pressure sensors are sensitive and alarm the driver somewhat early. In fall and spring when night and daytime temperatures vary more than usual, the warning light goes of frequently. All in all a great car with full time all wheel drive. Ultimate control in every weather. Nothing slips, nothing slides. Great car.

Good, but could be better
By Jerry Levy on 12/17/05 00:47 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent driving experience, a good combination of handling and luxury ride. Fun on two lane mountain highways, dirt roads, and freeways. Dealer very helpful when I needed unscheduled maintenance--gave me a new, free car for two weeks.

Love My First Subaru
By Tony on 11/27/05 13:52 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I recently purchased our first Subaru. We briefly considered buying an SUV but after test driving the Outback, we were hooked. We have been very satisfied with our choice. The Outback is perfect for northern climates and handles great on wet and snowy roads. The interior is very comfortable and the base model is packed with nice features like heated seats and mirrors. No matter what the weather is like outside, I look forward to getting behind the wheel.